Find
Notify
Tools

wooden patch box question
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of Deadeye
posted
Hey Guys, I want to put a wooden patch box on my latest build but don't have a big enough piece of maple from the stock to use. I've got some maple from two other builds but don't know if I can stain them the same color when that time comes.
I don't want the patch box to end up being a different color. Has anyone used maple from a different stock and had it work?

Posts: 1452 | Location: Good Ole USA of course! | Registered: 15 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I haven't. But, I would suggest using an acid stain on both. Dilute the acid and add to wood slowly until you get desired effect. Do same with patchbox until it matches stock.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deadeye
posted Hide Post
Rifleman, couldn't I dilute an oil stain as well? I've got some aquafortis I can use it if I have too but wasn't planning on it....that might change.

Posts: 1452 | Location: Good Ole USA of course! | Registered: 15 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
What if you put a little carving on it or maaybe somekind of inlay as camo? Don't know just an idea.

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I've used different wood, maple, twice, and walnut once. All came out to match the stock wood. Maybe I was just lucky.

Posts: 557 | Location: geneva,fl | Registered: 29 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking that if you use the same stain on the same kind of wood (oak and oak, maple and maple, walnut and walnut, etc), it should have the same coloring. As long as you're not mixing wood types, I think you'll do fine.

As they say, test a piece to see that it matches, but I kow that's kinda tough if you are trying to complete and stain each piece at the same time. However, if you have a scrap piece of your stock and a different scrap piece you want to use for the patch box cover, try staining those two pieces. That should answer your question before you start wittling on the cover. At least it would give you a good idea what color your stock will be and you might be able to test a couple different scraps for the cover until you get a good match.

Just some thoughts..

L8R...Ken

Posts: 403 | Location: In the Hardwoods of Eastern Iowa | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deadeye
posted Hide Post
It'll be maple and maple for sure and I have enough to test them before I start inletting for the wooden patch box. Sure would hate to inlet for it and then screw up on the staining and I do plan on putting some carving notches into it so it's easier to open when your hands are all covered with bp residue....that's a good thing. Wink