MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Firearms    Those Who Have and Those Who Will Revisited
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Those Who Have and Those Who Will Revisited
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
posted
Hello the fire, Well, I finally went and done it! About a week or so ago I sent a ball downbarrel with out any powder. I was all alone all by myself so I can't even blame conversation or some good lookin' woman for it. Well, luckily somehow that day I thought to take my Durango range rod with me, instead of the usual wiping stick which I made to fit my rifle in case some thing might happen to the one it already has. Because of this I was able to place my feet on the handle of the Durango with the gun over my shoulder and pull the ball partially free and finish the task by lodging the handle in the branches of a nearby sapling . I'm not trying to advertise any particular item here, but I am saying, even though this situation may never happen to you remember Be Prepared. Check your possibles, make sure those items you haven't used in a while are there. (Ball Puller, etc.) Here's to good doin's!

Posts: 69 | Registered: 12 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Glade it worked out for you. I did that just a few weeks ago when I used my ball puller it strip out the ball and I had nothing that would grab the ball so I used a patch puller and it broke off in the ball I had to send the barrel off and have it un-breech it all worked out ok and total cost for my oops was under 50.00 dollars. Note to self powder first than ball. lol.....B Staley

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I dry balled my .32 flintlock yesterday. I had already shot it at least 6 or 7 times. I guess I just got in a hurry. Also had no one around to blame it on. I also lucked out and got it pulled out ok. It does remind you to be extra careful when loading. Happy Hunting to all of you.

Posts: 8 | Location: Hardinsburg,Kentucky | Registered: 22 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Kinda inconvenient when it happens to us at the range. Wonder what went through our forefathers mind when they were in a fight?

Posts: 82 | Location: north georgia | Registered: 12 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
RUN !!!!

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Been lucky out of all the years I've shot muzzle stuffers I've only done it twice (knock on wood).

Posts: 86 | Location: North central Alabama, Limestone County, Athens | Registered: 09 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I've done it many times, sometimes two in a row. So far the ball puller screw has worked, even with WW ball. Same scenario, however; hold handle with feet and pull. It strips sometimes but I keep putting it in and twisting over and over and over.....

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Iche Iia
posted Hide Post
We've all done it if we would only admit it. My Black Powder club has a "Dry Ball" award. It's something that they picked up at Lowe's. a 3' round wooden ball that goes on the end of the railings of a banister by the steps. They even painted the ball silver. The winner of said award has to display it at every shoot until someone else becomes the owner.I think I have earned "Life Time Rights."

Iche Iia

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

Posts: 379 | Location: Prince George, Virginia | Registered: 04 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Iche Iia
posted Hide Post
By the way. I'm not trying to make you feel better..........I think it's funny as hell!!!!!

Iche Iia

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

Posts: 379 | Location: Prince George, Virginia | Registered: 04 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Lololol,Heh,getting my giggles in early,not that I think there's any chance I'd avoid "The Award".In the SCA we had an award called The Mookin' Great Cloob,awarded to someone that showed his Wildman side too flamboyantly.It was a huge wooden club that was presented with a large container of paste wax that had to be completely applied before it could be passed on to the next recipient....I refuse to answer that question....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Hobbles
posted Hide Post
I've done it, I just pull the nipple and drop a lil powder down the hole, it don't take much. Then fire it. With a lil powder, sometimes you can watch the ball fly through the air.

........ "Fear nothin but God"
"You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it." ~ John Quincy Adams

Posts: 260 | Location: Scottsville Kentucky | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Heh,an advantage to "cappers".

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
On my flinters I have often shoved some prime throught flash hole with the pick, filled the pan and fired in a safe direction. As long as the ball is not in front of the hole...
León

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Heh,mebbe I'd better get some 4Fg,just in case....

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I always trickle some powder in too. I never had success pulling the ball out. Maybe, because I always have such a tight fit. It's amazing the small amount of powder needed to shoot it out.

Flinter

Posts: 42 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 11 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I shoot flinters mostly and that's one reason I prime with 4F. 3F won't easily go through a tiny flash hole.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Idaho Mountainneer
posted Hide Post
The couple times I've done it I slipped a little powder through the back. Yea you can watch it fly through the air.

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Guilty. I had to put some powder through the vent and fire it into the ground to get it out.

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I'll have to remember not to be as embarrassed when it happens to me, now that I know how common it is.....Wink

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boartooth:
I'll have to remember not to be as embarrassed when it happens to me, now that I know how common it is.....Wink

It's still embarrassing unless you're alone. I've only done it once in thousands of shots, and I felt like a complete knucklehead. I wasn't alone. Frowner

Flinter

Posts: 42 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 11 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post