MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Firearms    An Early, Brass-Mounted J&S Hawken
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An Early, Brass-Mounted J&S Hawken
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of Notchy Bob
posted
It's always fun to browse through the guns on the Ambrose Antiques website. Just about everything they have for sale is for people above my pay-grade, but I still like to have a look.

I spotted this today: J&S Hawken fullstock

The pictures speak for themselves to some extent, but there's a more complete description on a separate catalog page. Click the "Back" icon in the upper left of the screen and scroll down until you find the Hawken.

There's a lot to see in the photographs, though. For one thing, the rifle is mounted in brass instead of iron, and the lower ramrod pipe appears to have some sculpting cast in. There's a hooded front sight, which is described as original. The percussion lock is evidently original, but there appears to be a drum and nipple arrangement rather than the usual Hawken "snail" bolster. It has a simple, single trigger, mounted on a pin through the stock, rather than single or double set triggers. It's a fullstock, with a straight cheekpiece with molding carved in rather than a "beavertail" cheek piece, and the wrist looks really thick and clunky, unlike the more refined architecture of their later rifles.

However, despite all of these unusual features, it still has that "Hawken Look" about it. I don't think I've seen anything like it. I hope you enjoy taking a look.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Posts: 333 | Location: Florida | Registered: 24 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
A very interesting rifle, no doubt about it.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Neat looking rifle.
One thing to remember about Hawken rifles is that for as many that are out there that conform to the "Look" of a stereotypical Hawken .... there are many that do not.

I also wonder if this is a J&S Hawken barrel on a non- Hawken rifle?
I am not saying this is indeed the case , just wondering.
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Notchy Bob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andy*:
I also wonder if this is a J&S Hawken barrel on a non- Hawken rifle?

Now, that's an interesting possibility. I had not thought of it, but that sort of thing certainly occurred. In fact, it's still occurring. I know of a percussion rifle up for sale right now with an original Schneider & Browning barrel, from mid-19th century gunmakers in San Francisco, but the rifle was restocked with all new parts (lock, triggers, and mountings) some time recently.

Thanks for the comments!

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Posts: 333 | Location: Florida | Registered: 24 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Notchy:

Thanks for posting those. Super interesting!

Posts: 140 | Registered: 18 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I LOVE the simple symmetry of the original JS Hawken rifles. Big Grin

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Walking Bear 1954
posted Hide Post
POR I would be afraid to ask

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what’s for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed sheep that can contest the vote. -Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 33 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 14 December 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post