New
Find
Notify
Tools

Centermark fusil de chasse
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
What is a good price for a center mark fusil? I found one online for $1895. Of course I am going to lowball for a settling price.Big Grin What is a fair price?

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Is it my imagination or have prices spiked in the past couple of years? I have noticed on the TOTW site that guns which sold for $700 to $800 a couple of years back now go for $1200 and more.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bud in PA:
Is it my imagination or have prices spiked in the past couple of years? I have noticed on the TOTW site that guns which sold for $700 to $800 a couple of years back now go for $1200 and more.
I have seen that too. TOTW guns seem to average 2k or more!

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Old Lobo
posted Hide Post
Cost of parts have been going up

Posts: 28 | Registered: 26 March 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Well TOTW isn't the best gauge for what a rifle or gun are worth [imho]. Track [again imho] doesn't "vet" the consignment guns all that much. So, there are basic gunbuilding tasks that are poorly done because the builder was more interested in the carving than the basics, and these are sometimes seen on the Track site.

So you regularly will find a rifle around $2000 with a poorly done lock mortise. Either the lock plate isn't well fitted into the wood, or most often the wood to the rear of the lock hasn't been properly reduced. A CLEAR mark that the builder used a "pre-shaped" stock, and didn't understand that those stocks are made to be a close fit to one lock, but have extra wood in case the builder chooses to use a different lock.

So then IF the builder uses the specified lock..., the lock mortise MUST be adjusted. That's like Rifle Building 101..., and so in my mind if the lock mortise was sloppy, or the wood wasn't adjusted, then that rifle (REGARDLESS of all the fancy carving) should be priced at the cost of the unfinished parts, OR BETTER YET should have been refused by TOTW and the builder should have been told why...so that the builder could correct that piece, or not make the same mistake in the future.

Alas, I think a lot of folks have bought rifles and guns from Track when they did't know what to look for, and thus paid WAAAY too much for a rifle that has a value well under what was paid.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Smiler

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Old Lobo
posted Hide Post
They're worth the money, I love mine

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods loper:
What is a good price for a center mark fusil? I found one online for $1895. Of course I am going to lowball for a settling price.Big Grin What is a fair price?

It's hard to determine a "fair price" or "market value" for some of these guns because there are so few of them that come to market. It's not like a mass produced firearm that sell in the second hand market in high quantities and easy to research past sells.

The Centermark fusil de chasse is one of those near, but not quite accurate reproductions. The butt plate extension finial doesn't match any original. The side plate is more appropriate for a fusil fin than a fusil de chasse. As with a lot of reproduction guns, there's too much wood left on the stock. The wood is maple rather than European variety such as walnut like the originals.

Even with all the short comings, some people are willing to pay a significant amount for some of these old guns for nostalgic reasons.

Another way to look at the value of these guns is to see what it would take to build one today. Track has a fusil de chasse kit that starts at about $875. On top of that, one needs to add the labor cost to put it together. If you outsource it to a professional, it can cost $50 to $100 per hour. Track estimates that a first time builder can assemble and finish in 40 hours. If a professional does it in half that time, it would cost $1,000 to $2,000 in labor. You would have $1,875 to $2,875 in the finished gun. Of course, you could build it yourself and figure a value of $5.00 per hour for your labor at 40 hours and have a gun that cost you $1,075.

Just a little food for thought.

Phil Meek

Posts: 78 | Location: Denver | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Old Lobo
posted Hide Post
here's min e

Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Nice, Mark

Posts: 162 | Location: Burlington, Wisconsin | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post