Find
Notify
Tools

Virginia ( I think )
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted
Tried to build this in a virginia/early virginia style. Made some mistakes but I think I can live with em. Wood is from Pecatonica. plain maple. barrel inlet and ramrod drilled an the rest I done. Turned out to have about 20% curl to it. The barrel is a swamped Rice 38 inch 40 cal 1 in 56 twist with round bottom grooves that I have coned. Lock is a Chambers round faced english built by LC Rice an its smooth as deer guts on a door knob. The buttplate I got from Curt Lyles. The patchbox and trigger I got from Randy Heil of the other TVM. The triggerguard, ramrod pipes, nosecap, and rear sight came from track of the wolf. The sideplate I made myself. The patchbox release I made myself and designed it too. Its crude but works good. For a front sight I used a 1962 silver quarter since I was born in 62. I cant engrave so I had Smitty in Oklahoma engrave my name in the barrel an the guns name in the sideplate. I mixed a couple of different stains to get the dark I wanted an its got 15 coates of tru oil buffed with 0000 steel wool. I will let it age on its own but knocked the bright off the metal with some mustard an powder fouling on the brass. I got my triggerguard a bit too far back but it still works good with plenty of finger room in front of the trigger. I plan on shooting it sat an will let yall know how she shoots. Hope ya like

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a crisp frosty morning

Posts: 354 | Location: Heart of DIXIE | Registered: 18 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wattlebuster:
Made some mistakes but I think I can live with em.
If you can't, let me know and I'll send you my shipping address...terrific job...wish I had your skills!

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle, and a good job, too.

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Sure looks good to me and it is way beyond by skill.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
It looks like a good rendition of an EV to me. You have some fine skills.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
I like it.
Love the color.

Don

Posts: 154 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: 08 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Cado
posted Hide Post
Looks great! Wish I had your talent.

Posts: 617 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Nice job. Beautiful rifle.

Posts: 127 | Registered: 10 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle. How many have you made? RH

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted Hide Post
Ive built 2 chambers kits for me 1 for my brother 1 caywood smoothbore for me 1 pistol from a blank an this one for a grand total of 6 and Ive messed up on every one of them but Im gonna learn it if it kills me.

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a crisp frosty morning

Posts: 354 | Location: Heart of DIXIE | Registered: 18 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great job other than the lock, cheek piece and patchbox are on the wrong side. Big Grin.....B Staley

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted Hide Post
Well guys I like this rifle. I've put over 100 shots thru it testing different loads, balls, an patch lubes. For tree rats Im gonna shoot 30 grs of FFFg pushin a 390 ball with 018 pillowtick patch lubed with wonderlube. This will also be my everyday general purpose load. Out to bout 35-40 yrds I dont think I will have any trouble bustin a squirrels nogin as long as I can get him to pose for me. If I think I want to beef it up it shoots 50 an 60 grns very well too. I would have got some pics but I have a grown daughter that thinks my Kodak is her Kodak. I ought to just give it to her an buy me another OR better yet if one of yall NEEDS a daughter Wink

Booshway
Picture of sawbones
posted Hide Post
That looks like some fine craftsmanship...

Never flinch

Posts: 524 | Location: Surprise Valley, California/Nevada | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of kopfjaeger
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle.

" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

Posts: 51 | Registered: 07 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
That is one fine looking rifle, regardless of the school or style! I echo Cado and all others about your talent... you are an artist. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us. Any rifle built with the love and appreciation for the art and science and history of black powder rifles and shooting like this one has GOT to shoot a whole bunch of 10Xs plus bring home some turkey meat.

PS... got 2 daughters (well, step-daughters)... rather have the rifle hehe

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Maybe a year or two short posting this but that rifle is "Pure Purty"!!

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Ya,me too,as to the daughter,I already have one.Just barely survived that.....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of kopfjaeger
posted Hide Post
The more I look at the rifle the more I like it. Nice.

" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

Posts: 51 | Registered: 07 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of markinmi.
posted Hide Post
Beautiful , sure to be an heirloom in your family

Posts: 625 | Location: North of Detroit Mi | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post