New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canoe or Blanket gun...
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
posted
There's an auction in the area and among the stuff for sale is 5 black powder rifles. Most look like CVAs but one is a Cabela's Hawken. I'm guessing they won't go for much at all. No one around here wants traditional style muzzleloaders anymore. If I can pick one or two of them up cheap enough, intend to turn one into a canoe or blanket gun to take camping or on hiking trips.

Over-the-log shooting, the second most fun you can have laying down.

Posts: 64 | Location: Volunteer State | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Hillbilly, I'm just guessing that those guns are rifles. Would you intend to bore out the one you cut into a blanket gun to make it a smoothbore? Just asking... Shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
Hillbilly,
I don't know what your plans are, but I would "turn one into a canoe gun" by selling them off and buying a canoe gun from North Star West. They're more fun, anyway.

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Dick, That is good thinking!! Shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Yes, I'd second that option. Many of the traditional CVA's were slow twist 1:66, and with those short barrels, they are already at the limit of shortness with a 33.5" barrel, to be able to stabilize a ball. The "St. Louis Hawken" had a 1:48 twist, with a 28" barrel..., so cutting them down more than 4" could cause the accuracy to suffer. If you got one for less than $100.00 and then had the barrel reamed out to a smooth rifle, and then shortened, that of course would be an inexpensive "canoe gun". (Strictly speaking a "blanket gun" has a short barrel and a severely shortened stock.., were pretty much only intended for taking over a British fort one time in history, and were no longer useful hunting guns.)

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
The guns turned out to be rustbuckets fit only for wallhangers or parts. I bid on the Cabela's Hawken thinking I might use the lock, stock, and triggers for something else but someone bid more than I thought it was worth. I have never seen a rifle with such a corroded nipple and breech area, it went halfway to the rear sight.

I did buy all the accouterments that they had for $30.00: 2 cans of powder, 2-1/2 boxes of T/C Maxi Hunters, half a pack of round balls, patches, a nicer measure than the ones I already have and a better flask as well. Couple tins of caps, capper, ball starters, etc. So I'm more than pleased with that and will get to do a whole bunch of shooting real cheap.

Over-the-log shooting, the second most fun you can have laying down.

Posts: 64 | Location: Volunteer State | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you got a great deal on all the fixins to shoot with. Powder around here, when you can find it, is just over $20.00 . So two cans, plus all the xtras for $30.00 seems like a good buy to me.
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Over here in the SE corner of Tenasi the only re-inactors are Civil War buffs. Even with that, traditional sidelock muzzleloaders only turn up rarely at the auctions, and when they do they are mostly just "rustbuckets".

One of our local auction houses has an annual gun auction each year on New Year's Day. Hundreds of firearms will be up for sale to the highest bidder. There will be some very nice guns, and also plenty of junk. The problem is that some of the people in attendance seem to have very little knowledge of what the guns are worth, yet they bid high. (or maybe I'm just lost behind the times) Many times I've seen guns sell at the auction for more than they can be bought new.

Now, with the obama administration agreeing with UN gun talks, I foresee gun prices for all firearms, including junk, hitting the roof in the near future.
Get 'em while you can!

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
Wonder if I could turn this GreatPlains into a canoe gun? Huh?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Mike M, Make a canoe gun out of whatever you want. But I'll tell you, there ain't nuthin' like the real thing. Shoot sharp, Mike N

<mtnmike>
posted
Mike N,,where is the real thing found? Wink

Factor
posted Hide Post
Mike M, Just take a look at North Star West's website at www.northstarwest.com. And shoot sharp, Mike N

<mtnmike>
posted
Wow! Thanks Mike

Factor
posted Hide Post
Mike M, I was just wiping my Canoe Gun out this evening, getting the oil out of the bore. That little cannon is going duck hunting soon. Shoot sharp, Mike N

Factor
posted Hide Post
For whatever its worth, I was given a T/C Renegade with its 1 in 48 barrel cut back to 21.5 inches. Dead centered a young buck at 50 yards a coupla weeks ago. 70 gr. 2ffg and a maxie ball. Shoots patched round balls tolerably, but not as well as maxis. Don't see much difference between that and the original length barrel, myself.

Don't reckon the deer noticed it, either.

Fiddlesticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post