MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Firearms    Funny you should mention canoe guns....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Funny you should mention canoe guns....
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted
Hi, I have been thinking hard about getting a North Star West canoe gun since it would fit me just about perfect. Only problem, I would want it to be a shooter so I could hunt with it and I'm wondering if anybody has some experience along that line. I'm one of those unfortunate souls who can only afford one high dollar flintlock so I do need to be careful what I end up with. SO, anybody have a North Star West canoe gun? What do you think of it?

Posts: 216 | Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Well, I do not have one, and do not want one. I think it would be a poor choice for a hunting gun. I think those short guns are more of a close range self-defense weapon, and not meant to be a serious hunting firearm.
Of course, others will have different opinions.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of woodman
posted Hide Post
I have had a North Star West canoe gun for 15 years it is my go to Carry gun. I have taken deer , elk , and a buffalo with it.

Posts: 357 | Location: Colorado Territories | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I've been wanting one in a bad way for some time. It will have to be a kit, however. Our own Mike Nesbitt has one and calls it his favorite for general hunting/shooting. He's the one who talked me into getting one. It's not a duck/geese gun but for deer or upland small game it's a beaut. Surprisingly, little velocity is lost in that 20" barrel. 20" will do quite well but you wouldn't want to go shorter than that.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3558 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies! Deer, elk and buffalo? What more could I want? Well, maybe the odd squirrel or bird....

Posts: 216 | Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
..., and rabbit...don't forget rabbits...

Big Grin

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
True Confession: In all my years I have never bagged a rabbit. Unreal huh?

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, all the rabbits, and not that many, that I've shot over the years were taken with a Sheridan Blue Streak pump.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3558 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I have a running gun with a 28 inch barrel in 20 balls/pound (20ga). It patterns real nice and I use it for all types of small game as well as turkey.

Rio

Posts: 140 | Registered: 18 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted Hide Post
If thats what you got your heart set on then by all means go for it. I think I would want a back sight though an then deer hunting with it should be no problem inside 50/60 yrds which should be your objective anyway

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a crisp frosty morning

Posts: 354 | Location: Heart of DIXIE | Registered: 18 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried the brass fowler rear sight that clay Smith sells? It looks like the sight in the book about Tulle & St. Etienne fowlers imported into the colonies. I have seen this type of sight on center fire rifles from Europe. For some reason I remember them being refered to as a batteau sight. I am putting one on my fowler.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post