MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Firearms    Thoughts on Middlesex muskets.....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on Middlesex muskets.....
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted
Hello all,
I am thinking about getting either a first model Bess and then shortening it a bit...or a "Ranger" musket from this company.
Anyone out there have one?....or shot one...handled one..etc... wanting to know your thoughts on the over all quality of the gun(s) you have or have experienced.
I am not really looking for a gun for historic use or renacting...just like the looks of a shortened Bess.
Thanks,
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I very familiar with both the MVTC and Loyalist Arms Bess. They both make good guns. The wood isn't North American nor European. The locks tend to work well, although I have rehardened a few frizzens in the past... no troubles. They are imported from India, so the finish is done in a very bright, well shined condition. Overall they tend to be closer to a proper LLP Bess than the Pedersoli. Unlike the Pedersoli, the barrels are not proofed, and spare parts are not interchangeable.

It is highly debateable that the Rangers shortened LLP's..., though they did purchase a large number of "private" muskets, which they could have shortened, or could have come short.

I'd get the least expensive version, and if it's the LLP then I'd shorten that. Otherwise there are pre-shortend guns, and you might look at Loyalist Arms before you buy. (Currently I am saving up for an MVTC Spanish musket)

It's up to you if you want to replace the bayonet lug..., if not, a trade gun front sight soldered to the barrel would suffice. Also, buy the gun with the touch hole pre-drilled.

IF you wish to home proof your barrel, the Italian proofing standard is 140% of the maximum load, plus one projectile. If it was me, in my opinion, I'd use 120 grains as the "max" for that's the highest setting on most over-the-counter powder measures. So with 140% I load 170 grains of 2Fg, and a single .735 lead ball with a wad, into the barrel after removing it from the stock, and I'd use some cannon fuse to set it off. Then I'd have the barrel magnafluxed. I've never done this to any of my India origin guns, and no worries so far, but that's what I'd do if I had a concern.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
L.D.
Thanks for the good information.
I need to sell a Uberti 1860 Army to drum up some cash for this purchase....and I didn't want to sell a good gun just to get a bad one.
As I said just looking for a fun gun....and I like the looks of a shorter Bess, historic or not.
Always enjoy reading your posts...
Andy

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
The folks that have them give them good reports. A recent test was done of some 200 barrels, some of which were India made, and only two failed the proof tests.... none that failed were from India.

Most folks take the shine off the lock and barrel with the application of mustard, after degreasing the barrel. Some folks go to the trouble of really darkening the metal and then polishing it back to a more "used but well cared for" appearance.

If you shorten a LLP Bess, don't re-install the nose cap (imho). Rangers with issued arms probably had older version LLP's aka the '48 version, which didn't have a brass nose cap... so would not have had the part to put back on their shortened muskets. (I know you're not looking for a living history gun..., but this tid bit makes for less work for you eh? Wink)

Some folks reduce the forward stock "bulge" or "swell" with rasp to a smaller size then sand and restain the stock. I have found that if you want to do that, H. Behlen water based grain filler, neutral (B744-0046) works well to make the stock look more like a European hardwood... followed by Fiebing's Medium Brown leather dye, and then several coats of unthinned, boiled linseed oil.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I have one of mvtc ranger muskets,like L.D. said,i had the frizzen reshaped and rehardened and it sparks like a champ,it is a bit chunkey,and I believe the loyalist arms muskets are a lot more correct for my time period (1750's) and I should have gotten the full size gun ,but that's the way it goes,but it still my small game gun and has gone many a trekking miles with me

Posts: 49 | Registered: 08 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Thanks Hacksaw, sounds like the gun for me....now just need the funds....
Andy

Booshway
Picture of markinmi.
posted Hide Post
Dave,Keep us informed when you get the Spanish musket.Maybe write up good review and submit it to ML with pics.

Posts: 625 | Location: North of Detroit Mi | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post