New
Find
Notify
Tools

Underhammers ?
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted Hide Post
First couldnt find one now their everywhere,,not a bad thing!!!!!

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
How 'bout you fellers point me in the right direction !!

Rupe/PA

Posts: 467 | Location: NW Pennsylvania | Registered: 20 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Rupe,
if this fellow comes through, I will probably make some of it available. Will let you know.
Mark

Posts: 68 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 31 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Mark - Would appreciate the offer. I'll hold my breath; Whaal, mebbe nawt !! Thanks,

Rupe/PA

Posts: 467 | Location: NW Pennsylvania | Registered: 20 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Wow! Nice job Metalworker.

Hmmm now if that were an under hammer flintlock ........

Posts: 138 | Location: Cedar Valley, Travis Co., TX | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Jonathon,

It is a Heritage model. The barrel is a 15/16" octagon .45 caliber that is 36" long. The restoration was rather extensive. The barrel was very rough and the stock cracked when I was given it around 30 years ago. I had to replace the barrel and carve a new stock.

Here is a shot of the peep sight, both front and back. Elevation is simply adjusted by twisting the sight, and then locking it in place with the knurled nut. Windage is adjusted by unscrewing the sight, adjusting as necessary, and then screwing it tight again. The peep itself has three selectable apertures.

Rupe, if you cannot find one, you should consider building one. Fire and Iron have the complete receivers, and it's not too much trouble to carve a stock. (i.e. if I can do it, that anyone can do it.)

Paul

Peep Sights

Posts: 23 | Registered: 20 January 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
!!!Now youve gone and done it,,got the rifle feeling good,now I see there is another part I want!!!!!!!!I see on mine it has a screw,flush with the Barrel, where the peep sight goes,, back in the hunt for total and true happieness and a complete H/A Heritage,,with peep sight,,,ha ha ha ha
Papa, if that good gun deal comes through, peel an eye for a peep sight,mark it sold and contact me..please

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Only 9 posts to this sight and I'm already causing trouble...

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Paul,
I can't post but I have a tang sight that I made and put on a H&A action. It is similar to the H&A sight but even simpler. I can send a pic if you can post it. Will need an email.
Mark

Posts: 68 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 31 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Paul no trouble,just tickled another want!!!!ha ha
Papa,, sent PM with E-Mail.

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Papa,

PM sent. I'll post it when you get it to me.

Paul

Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Just picked up another underhammer that will be used as a plank gun. Need to buy a new rear sight for it before posting pics.

Giz

Posts: 238 | Registered: 08 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Pease,
What barrel are you using and what sight are you looking for?
mark

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Paul,

Thanks!! that was what I needed! clear pics and enough information to now be dangerous :{D Looks like I need to finish the big project at work and get back into the shop!!

Appreciate the Help!!
Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Posts: 73 | Location: KC | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Papa:
Pease,
What barrel are you using and what sight are you looking for?
mark

I will try to post pics in a day or two. Picked it up at a gunshow. It is a benchrest gun with a 1 1/2" round barrel, custum built underhammer with safety. I need to decide what I am doing with it. Would like to make it into a plank match gun. So I need to look into the rules, first...on sights.

Posts: 238 | Registered: 08 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Here's a shot of Papa's home made peep sight.

Paul

Papa Peep 1

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Another shot of Papa's peep sight from the other side.

Paul

Papa Peep 2

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Here's Papa's latest underhammer. According to him, "It is a H&A action but the barrel is in 1 1/8"X34" in .40 caliber. It has a 15-560's twist and is by Ed Rayl."

Paul

Papa Underhammer

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Paul,
Thanks for the help by posting the pictures. The ROT on the barrel above should be 1-56.
Mark

Factor
posted Hide Post
I have seen exactly one(1) underhammer rifle in my life.Kinda liked the look,liked the separation of ignition point from your eye,but was given to understand they didn't work out as well as folks had hoped.....Sounds like i was mislead.Those are some handsome pieces guys.....Darn,another addition to my wish list......

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post