MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Firearms    Gunsmiths from back in the Day
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunsmiths from back in the Day
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
I'm looking for any info on; Nathaniel R Freeman(1775-1831) "a well known gunsmith in the area" around Hickory Nutt Gap, Buncombe Co. NC (now Henderson Co, NC)in the years 1780-1830. Could some wise ol owls point me in a direction, please.

Posts: 26 | Location: SE Arkansaw | Registered: 05 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Lil' Bill,
Here's what I got out of LONGRIFLES OF NORTH CAROLINA by John Bivins, JR.
Freeman, Robertson
"Rutherford County. A notation in the NORTH CAROLINA SPECTATOR AND WESTERN AVERTISER of February 5,1831 reads:
Died in this county on Hickorynut Creek on the 23rd ult. Mr.Robertson Freeman, aged 55...Mr F. was a well known gunsmith."
Sorry not much if anything new out of this book.
Good luck,
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Whiskers book on N Carolina gun builders may have something. I do not recall the name but he covers many builders in all his books, I no longer have the book but others may be able to check it for you.

Posts: 272 | Registered: 12 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.

Posts: 26 | Location: SE Arkansaw | Registered: 05 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Whisker's book has only the above info. The new Carolina book does not mention him at all.

Dave D.

Posts: 97 | Location: Shelton, WA | Registered: 23 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post