New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Boy & The New Englander
 Login/Join

Factor
posted
So my son Matt this year suddenly got interested in shooting. I mean suddenly. I've taken him to the range twice as a youngster, and he wasn't too keen. Turns out he didn't like the noise and the kick, well mostly the noise, and it was the noise from the other guns being shot at the range that mostly bothered him.

Last time he wanted to come with me was five years ago as a 12 year old. Well he's growed some, and is now 17, so in March he asked if we could shoot some of my modern guns (rifles). He's into some of those online, WWII first-person-shooter games and such. (to those games I say "bah humbug")

So we've been shooting an SKS, and I let him get some custom parts like a modern stock, and a scope and such. We were sighting the SKS in yesterday, and I brought my .54 flintlock Trudy along, as well as my .54 TC New Englander caplock.

In the past, Matt didn't like Trudy much, as he's not used to such a long rifle (and she's only got a 38" barrel Roll Eyes) The New Englander, is much shorter than the flinter, and it's a caplock so is better in very damp conditions. In fact it's my backup rifle IF I've got limited days off to hunt, and for whatever reason the weather is really damp (especially this week in October which is early ML Deer season starting in the morning. Big Grin)

So after banging away for an hour and adjusting his scope out to 100 yards, time to do some BP.

I've switched over from GOEX right now to Graf's 3Fg..., and my sights are now 3" low, I discovered when shooting at 50 yards. So I've upped my load from 70 grains to 80 grains to correct the impact of my .530 round ball. So I'm good to go tomorrow, but then it was Matt's turn on the New Englander.

So I showed him how it loads, and instructed him on half-cock and full-cock, and placing a cap and whatnot. He was a little apprehensive. I told him it wouldn't kick any more than the modern rifle, and he did need to be aware that the trigger was very different from the modern rifle so he had to take his time.

The rifle was on a rest on the bench and he shouldered it and followed the basics..., and BOOOM!..., she went off without a problem. At 50 yards with 70 grains of Graf's 3Fg and a .530 patched round ball, he cut the ten ring at the 11 o'clock mark. All he said was, " Hey I like this!" (gee young man you mean after all that banging away with the SKS, you admit the BP single shot rifle might actually be fun? Wink ) His second shot he hit the 9 ring at 6 o'clock, and his last shot was a flyer, but he "called" it when he fired as a flyer. We had to then call it quits due to fading light.

Since we're in an area of my state where his choices for deer hunting with a firearm are shotgun or muzzleloader..., he's going to have to use the New Englander, but I think he'll find it more than adequate. He wont' be going out with me until regular season after Thanksgiving..., but that's another story. Big Grin

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
That is simply great! We need more young like your son.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
That's is great! Just have to let them come around. Mark

Posts: 164 | Location: Burlington, Wisconsin | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Excellent news! Be sure to keep us posted as this story continues LD.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Attentive eyes are watching!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
LD you are one lucky fellow.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
You are lucky. I have 4 sons and none have any desire to shoot a muzzleloader.

Posts: 8 | Location: Hardinsburg,Kentucky | Registered: 22 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Congrats! That is what it is all about.

Posts: 101 | Location: Davidsville , PA | Registered: 10 August 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post