MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Firearms    flintlock repair's wilson trade gun
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

flintlock repair's wilson trade gun
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
posted
will there Wilson trade gun work for the mountain man era?I want a smoothbore for all around hunting but also one that will pass at a rendezvous.Looking for one on the cheaper end.

Posts: 64 | Location: piney woods of east texas | Registered: 23 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
As one cannot foretell how silly a regulator will choose to be, Check first. IMO there should be no doubt that ANYTHING dating pre fur trade would be correct at a rendezvous - even a matchlock.
TC

Posts: 138 | Location: Cedar Valley, Travis Co., TX | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply Rocklock.that's what I was thinking but wasn't sure.I want one for squirrels and wood ducks in the east Texas bottom lands.

Posts: 64 | Location: piney woods of east texas | Registered: 23 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Willis Creek
posted Hide Post
As booshway for the 2014 Rocky Mountain National Rendezvous, here's the answer I will give: Any firearm that has provenance from 1840 or prior, is a legal firearm.

"touch not the cat without a glove"
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Posts: 143 | Location: South of the Arkansas, on the slopes of St. Charles Peak, Colorado territory | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Thanks Willis Creek for replying.That's good info.I have been wanting to get a smooth bore for a long time but wanted to make sure it was one i could also use at an event.

Factor
posted Hide Post
trapperljt,as a note of warning,I started looking around for the most practical gun to own,if I was only going to have one for a good long time,decided a smoothbore made the most sense,and then discovered(counter intuitively),smoothbores are quite a bit more expensive than rifles,and if actual black powder is hard to get in your area(like mine),flintlocks don't do well with the black powder substitutes ,the ignition is chancy....I bought a flintlock smoothbore,and,after 6+ months of owning it,I've yet to fire it,I'm in the situation of either saving up $500.00 to get some shipped to me(a minimum 25lb. shipment),or drive 5hours to Springfield to the nearest retailer that sells it,also an expensive option.I've tried getting connected with the local buckskinner group,but I work nights so I can't attend meetings,and I'm getting the feeling they are pretty insular,and aren't exactly forthcoming with info.So,if you want something inexpensive,that you can use right away,go for a capper rifle.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Boartooth that's good advice but i own a couple rifles already and can get powder easy enough.I just want to get a smooth bore for hunting and am thinking it might suit me better at a rendezvous.I love to shoot squirrels and wood duck's and want to work a smoke pole into it.Thanks

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boartooth:
I'm in the situation of either saving up $500.00 to get some shipped to me(a minimum 25lb. shipment),or drive 5hours to Springfield to the nearest retailer that sells it,also an expensive option.I've tried getting connected with the local buckskinner group,but I work nights so I can't attend meetings,and I'm getting the feeling they are pretty insular,and aren't exactly forthcoming with info.

I too had problems getting black powder locally and resorted to buying online. Graph's (sp?) will sell/send you any quanity you want. With the hazmat fee it does make sense to get as much as you can afford. In my case that was 12 pounds.
I can also identify with the joys of working second shift. I know there are a few buckskinners who are a little full of themselves and standoffish. However, as a general rule you are not going to find a more generous and friendly group. They are not shooting at night. Go to a match or two in your street clothes, introduce yourself, and I'm sure you will be "in" in short order.

Posts: 9 | Registered: 27 March 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Northwest trade guns are absolutely correct for the mountain man era, are listed in supply inventories and often mentioned in primary source accounts. They are very useful, lots of fun. Most of the people I associate with have one and cary them more than their rifles and like many if I could only have one gun it would be my northwest gun from Northstar West. Also, black powder keeps well so if you have to order it getting a full case makes the most sense as the hazmat fee is the same for a can or a case. If you want to meet black powder shooters go to rendezvous and associate. I don't think I've ever been to one without meeting someone I like.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Scoundrel,I've pretty much reached the same conclusion,Ive been to the local rondy,met some good people,now it's just a matter of waiting for other local rondies....Graphs?Never heard of them.Do you have a web address?Or phone number?

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of SCLoyalist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boartooth:
Graphs?Never heard of them.Do you have a web address?Or phone number?

try www.grafs.com

Powderinc.com is another vendor that will sell you 5, 10 or 25 lb lots of powder.

Here's a health to the King and a lasting Peace. May Faction end and Wealth increase....Old Loyalist Ballad

Posts: 767 | Location: Panhandle Florida | Registered: 02 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Thanks,I'll look them over....

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Boartooth, next time Pacific Primitive is in Oregon I'm going to PM you a reminder.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Sounds interesting,what's Pacific Primitive?

Booshway
Picture of woodman
posted Hide Post
A remdezvous held in June that travels between the Pacific states.
www.pacificprimitiverendezvous.com

Posts: 357 | Location: Colorado Territories | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
where about in the oreegon territory are you ?
You can get powder down Eugene way or get it through Craig Kirkland at bear river in Wyoming

Posts: 687 | Location: Payette ,Idaho | Registered: 23 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I get mine from Craig Kirkland. Craig is first class. He has an ad in the Muzzleloader magazine.

Factor
posted Hide Post
I'm near Klamath Falls,2hours from anywhere,and approx. 5 hours from Eugene,or Springfield where The Gunworks is located....I guess I could get it through the mail,but I don't like filling out government paperwork just to buy something I'm entitled to.....I suppose I ought to change my location to The State of Jefferson,lol.

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Trapper:

I didn't read through all the responses but I'm sure you got some good information. I too have a Wilson trade gun. They really date a bit early for the western fur trade and fit better into the French Indian War period.

That said no one will call you on such a thing and if you like it use it.

If on the other hand you are shopping around and would like a gun that would be more common to the period check out the NW Trade guns. Many of these also can both pre date and post date the quote on quote rendezvous era so do a bit of research if you are trying to really nail it down.

Most of all have fun and love your gun whatever era it is from.

Rio

Posts: 140 | Registered: 18 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I could be wrong, but I believe HBC was getting NW guns from Wilson right up to the 1821 merger, and maybe afterward. I could look in my museum of the fur trade firearms encyclopedia and check, but I'm too tired and lazy to hoist it up this late in the day. Bottom line is you will be correct and nobody is going to give you any grief.