Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting Gongs
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
Picture of JoeM
posted Hide Post
Well here it is - August, and I've only been out once (maybe twice) since posting this topic to shoot at some gongs, and that just ain't getting it done. Of course I've been punching paper while zeroing in a new set of sights for one of my rifle's and from the results of the last outing, I would say it's "gong" smacking ready.

Naturally, we have high winds forecast for today, so I'll have to look towards tomorrow. Smiler

Ohio Joe / Chadron Fur Trade Days

Posts: 62 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 05 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
For various reasons I've not gotten out as much recently as I would have liked. But I'm prepared to go to the range hopefully sooner than later. The .36 needs exercise.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3443 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of JoeM
posted Hide Post
I made a run to the Range this morning to check the zero on my .40 cal... She's still hitting where I expect it
to hit on paper, so now I think I'll play with it for a' while smacking some gongs next trip out. One thing I like
about the smaller calibers (you get a lot more shots from a pound of powder - with them).

At 25 yards I just use 35 grains of 3fg, and when I move out to; 40, 50, 60, and 70 yards, I kick it up to 40 and
45 grains (just kind of depends on the conditions) and I keep a one inch high at 25 yard zero.

Ed Rayl made my barrel many years ago (through Muzzle Loading Supply) and I intentionally had him rifle it
with; Round Bottom rifling - .010 depth - 1 in 72 twist... I have shot 1fg / 2fg / and 3fg out 'a this barrel, and
she prints great with very little fouling. I really enjoy this rifle, but I don't shoot it very often (no excuse why)?

Fun Rifle!!! Smiler

Posts: 62 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 05 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of JoeM
posted Hide Post
Well I did get out this morning and shot at the; 6 - 8 - 10 inch gongs from 30 to 70 yards with 40 / 50 / 60 yards in between (offhand). Only missed 1 out of 10 shots taken, and that was at 70 yards. I kind of like that 35 grain charge in this .40 caliber rifle. (I didn't kick up the charge - I just stayed with the 35 grains 3fg). It'll get it done for target shooting practice. Smiler

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JoeM,

Booshway
posted Hide Post
On our private range, we build gongs from used plow discs. We hang them from chains so they can swing as to not deflect material back towards the bench.

One gong we built is quite a challenge but it sings when you do hit it, It is a 2.5" steam grade thick wall pipe bent into a large "U" shape. On one end of the "U", there is a gong bolted a couple of inches from the opening and it is angled to deflect any bullets into the soil.

The other end is covered inside a dirt mound with only the mouth of the pipe sticking out. The other hole (in the pipe) with the gong is behind the dirt mound where you cannot see it.

One has to hit the 2.5" open end of the pipe at 50 yards. The bullet travels through the "U" shaped pipe and rings the gong behind the mound. If no sound, you missed the 2.5" target.

DanL

God bless America and Alba Gu Brath!

Posts: 482 | Location: God's farm in Alabama | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post