New
Find
Notify
Tools

New .58 Rifle
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
I finally finished up the rifle I've been working on this winter! .58, O/R Colerain 38" barrel, L&R Queen Anne lock with some modifications, maple plank with hand inlet barrel, aquafortis, Chambers Oil finish, based on a Peter Berry Sr gun. Light weight for carrying up hills, only 6 3/4 lbs! Not many of those hills here, but I'm hoping to draw a bear tag for the mountains this fall...

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted Hide Post
Outstanding Big Grin I like everything about it. You do some fine work

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a crisp frosty morning

Posts: 354 | Location: Heart of DIXIE | Registered: 18 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
That is a wonderful rifle there sir. Excellent work, wish I was that talented!!
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Very nice !!!

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Good looking rifle, bet you know when it fires with a big load but that's only needed for hunting anyway.

Posts: 109 | Location: NH | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of kopfjaeger
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle.

" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

Posts: 51 | Registered: 07 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
*Drool*

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Though a totally different style, it reminds me of a friend's 58 cal Hawken rifle. That Hawken was a bit different though at 12 pounds, 36" I 1 1/4" across the flats barrel.

90 gr. of 2Fg powder behind those 58 cal. round balls carried quite a thump.

That is a very nice rifle. It will be much easier to carry that his 12 pounder too.

load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Very nice I thought it was an Issac Haines at first.

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the kind comments!

BStaley, I've only seen pics of this one in two spots, Kindig book and the newer "Art and Evolution of the Longrifle". I've seen it as an early Peter Berry and also as a Jr and Sr, this by the Sr PB. All I know is I like the lines and the different carving, and it's very comfortable for fit and hold. Was a neat build, although working solely from pics always makes things, ummm, interesting.

Whitefinger, I've got a Hawken in .58 in the build lineup to come, won most of the parts in our club Aggregate match for the year. I think the barrel alone on that thing weighs two pounds more than this whole gun!! Ugh.

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Well that's lovely, and a .58 should get the job done.! Big Grin

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Some sweet rifle,I like the striped finish,is it natural or did you do it.The carving is clear and crisp looking very nice.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
The striping is all in the wood, just a nice piece I picked up a few years ago from our local supplier before he passed away. I've got two similar blanks in the closet, maybe better curl, that I'm holding for the right inspiration. Smiler

Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
You sure do great work there Osprey! I have enjoyed seeing your builds over the last couple of years. You also do a kick butt Armstrong!

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
That....Is gorgeous....I had to go back and drool some more....

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
WOW! Now I like that beauty.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Very nicely done!
That shows some fine talent.
Ron

Posts: 62 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 10 October 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Nice work. Beautiful.
I'm wondering how the recoil feels with full .58 loads in a rifle weighing under 7 pounds?

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Heh,don't even think about it,just do it....