MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Firearms    The decline of traditional black powder hunting & shooting
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The decline of traditional black powder hunting & shooting
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping that the two movies coming out, "Revenant" and the HBO one on Lewis and Clark spark some interest. Look how Foster's Lager beer took off after Alligator Dundee. I always hunt with flinters and haven't noticed it being a disadvantage.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
Idaho,,your son will be just fine,,his father is a prime example of that Wink

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
The old TV shows and movies really did have a big impact on us older-than-60 guys. And it wasn't just the "mountain" and "frontier" men, but also the cowboys. As a testimony to that, the room behind me as I type this has my Stallion 6 (really 5) shooter that I bought with newspaper delivery money when I was 11. I wish I still had my coon-skin hat!
I can see that my own son doesn't have that connection or linkage to those historic periods. He likes to shoot the muzzleloaders with me, but doesn't get very excited. But, then, I didn't get excited about muzzleloaders until I was 65.
Ron

Posts: 62 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 10 October 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Sitting here in front of the fire reading the forum my wife finds Daniel Boone on the TV. looks like back to back shows. See yaw. Big Grin

Posts: 82 | Location: north georgia | Registered: 12 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
Idaho, I agree with MtnMike; we need you and your son to help keep this vital part of not only our history but our national soul alive and I'm sure y'all will be a big part of that. Interestingly enough, Dennis Neely just posted a similar line of thought on his blog yesterday. Y'all can read it here: http://traditionalblackpowderh...promote-and-educate/
We all love traditional muzzle loading hunting and history and it's up to us to not let it die out.

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Turkey creek good artical I had a conversation with a fellow yesterday that's an avid black powder hunter he uses a cap lock and wants to start using a flintlock but stated he has slow ignition so he's not comfortable hunting with it we are going to work with it when this bad weather clears out.

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
B Staney, your friend's slow ignition tells me his lock needs work. It should be very fast and the only issue should be dampness. Fog and rain can really rain on a flinter's parade, no pun intended.

I purchased a Pedersoli Blue ridge 54 flinter just for hunting because like your friend, I didn't want to hunt with caplocks anymore.

That Blue ridge had a patten breech that had a 0.19" diameter flue between the breech and the vent. that super narrow flue was 1/2' long and powder could actually bridge the flue and not reach the vent. This caused nothing less than inconsistent ignition. I had a gunsmith bore out that flue to .31" diameter and that took care of most of the problems.

I wasn't real happy with the Pedersoli lock so I replaced it with an L & R Hatfield drop-in lock and that really cured the problems.

I've carried that rifle in the woods since 2005 and the only problem I've had is keeping the powder cry.

Fast ignition is a must and if that isn't taking place, the guns ignition system needs work.

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
The gun he is using is a Cabelas Hawkins I think he's using to much powder in the pan and getting a fuse affect pluse I don't know what his main powder charge is but once this weather clears up some will figure it out....Smiler

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
With risk of a major topic digression, I would like to expand on Willis Creek's statement "Our black powder community is simply a microcosm of the society at large."
Going beyond just the muzzleloading aspect of the connection to the nation's roots, I think that there is a whole generation, maybe several generations, of young people who are completely disconnected from their history.
My son had an exemplary, mostly unbiased education concerning American history and government, both early and recent. Given the general disinterest about such things throughout the country around the turn of the century, that education was just a group of courses to study for and tests to take. Once over, all the other activities and interests of someone his age took over and it all faded into the background. For him, life was ice hockey and everything else was secondary.
If that is how a well-educated young person responds, is it surprising that those either less well-educated about their country or given a biased education have lost interest or connection to that topic?
But before I dump more on the more recent generations, I do have to mention that I am uncertain if we were any better. Back in the 1970s, there was a man-on-the-street poll taken in one of the East Coast cities, perhaps Philadelphia, PA. People were presented with the Bill of Rights, told it was a petition, and asked to sign the "petition." If I recall correctly, well over 70% refused to sign and didn't recognize their own Bill of Rights (my memory says 77%, but I wouldn't bet on that). I think that ignorance of our history and government structure has been part of the American society for a long time.
You may want to take a look at this video as a demonstration of the ignorance of young people concerning America. Then again, if your tolerance to ignorance is low, you many not want to see this.
http://safeshare.tv/w/oHbxeOtsOP
Ron

Posts: 62 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 10 October 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Ron, that is scary,also very sad.

As far as MLs go I think that those who shoot those inline thingamagiggys think they are "primative" in that they load from the muzzle and are single shots. They are wrong in my opinion. Those who see my flinters are amazed I actually hunt with them and enjoy it. I think they are really missing out on the whole hunting experience. The most modern ML I have is a T/C Renegade. I haven't hunted with that in many years since I bought my flinters. Best regards. RH

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
... alas, I do not qualify to purchase and shoot an in-line rifle. My parents were married Wink

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Scoundrel, I with you in hoping they help rekindle interest in historical firearms. We need more of those movies to (try to) teach some history to people. Schools almost completely ignore early American history. But, with the very liberal, left leaning Michael Moore types who run Hollywood, that likeyhood is very slim.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
There are a thousand times more people shooting black powder now than when I started making guns in the late 50's People used to make fun of us back then.

Posts: 16 | Location: Baker City, Oregon | Registered: 21 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'm odd,but I never really seriously considered an inline...

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Gawd,Jerry,did you build that gun?That's gorgeous!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I have made it a point to watch films like The MountainMen, The Last of the Mohicans, and even fairly new stuff such as The New World with my grandsons, ages 10 and 12. They enjoy these movies. Last Saturday, we had a burst of warmth (49 degrees) here in Western Missouri and I took them to Fort Osage. They went bananas over that place. I am helping them put outfits together as they are excited and want to do reenacting. I also want to get involved with youth groups, such as Scouts. Can you imagine taking a group of inner city kids out to the mountains, letting the smell the pines while building a fire, and then sitting around that fire, telling tales of men such as Jim Beckeorth. That kind of experience can have a major influence on young lives. Spending time with young folkes is good for their souls and ours, and good for historical muzzleloading. Its something that many of us can do. We can't make movies, but we can inspire kids by giving some time. It's kind of fun too.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I have volunteered to do some muzzleloader shooting with several, local scout groups. They scoutmasters and parents are pleased with the offer, but are concerned about liability issues. Looks like I can demonstrate, but the scouts can't shoot. Frowner
Ron

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I remember earning my marksmanship merit badge. How times have changed. I will still try to reach out to youth. We can still give demonstrations and encourage individuals to take up the sport. Local ML clubs can offer youth programs. If we can bring in just a few young members to each local club each year, we can insure that our sport will continue and grow. Keep up the good work. It will bear fruit.

JohnM

Posts: 2 | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I think that traditional blackpowder shooting requires a deep rooted interest in history. without that interest a flintlock is usually just a "one time" novelty shot to young folks today. now, how to build that history interest? don't really know

Posts: 125 | Location: eden, utah | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boartooth:
Maybe I'm odd,but I never really seriously considered an inline...

me too. the ONLY inline that I would even remotely consider is the TC scout. but in reality I would simply stop hunting the muzzleloader seasons if inlines were required.

Posts: 125 | Location: eden, utah | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post