New
Find
Notify
Tools

priming horn build questions
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
I am building a priming horn and am wondering what a good size to drill the spout out to as i will not be using any kind of mechanical spout? Thanks

Posts: 8 | Registered: 23 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
You can determine the size hole based on a number of things--your preference.

One way, since you just need a little powder out of it you just need a little hole so you don't loose a bunch dropping the horn or by it pouring too freely in the pan.

Another way, is how are you going to fill the horn? You could have a large hole drilled in the wood plug at the big end of the horn filled by a screw-threaded plug, or you can fill through the same hole you pour the powder out.

If you use the same hole to fill and disperse priming powder, I'd make the smallest one I could that fit the funnel I use to fill the horn. On the other hand, if I were to fill in the big hole at the butt end of the horn, I'd make the hole at the business end as tiny as I could get away with that still dispensed powder. Of course, you will need a plug for that end and that might be a determining factor.

In short..."It depends."
Sparks

"I thought when you said you chased tornadoes, it was just a metaphor."
--soon to be ex-fiance in Twister

Posts: 247 | Location: Boise | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
I just finished a primer tonight.
It depends on how fast you want it to come out.
I use a small hole [9/64].
I like it not to come out to fast and just kind of tap it in the pan. I also use 4f.
For filling with a small hole, it fills easy through the hole.
Just be careful dilling. I know.
Hope this helps.

Don

Posts: 154 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: 08 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
One of the issues is having a hole that will accept a decent-sized plug. I mean, one that you can use over and over and not have to replace it--it's got to be bigger than a toothpick!
I'd guess on the one priming horn I have that is "natural" (without a brass plunger) it's about 1/8" diameter or maybe a bit bigger. It will shake or pour into the pan just fine, but isn't too big.

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Some old timers might say, why prime from another horn with smaller grain powder when you can just as easily prime from the big horn? but i guess, if your wanting to use a priming horn, the flow should be big enough so that you shouldnt have to shake it to get it to flow, the hole should be large enough to fill your pan by just tipping it.

Posts: 90 | Registered: 03 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyboy76:
Some old timers might say, why prime from another horn with smaller grain powder when you can just as easily prime from the big horn? .

On that note, any black powder used in muzzleloading guns will work in the priming pan; it's just that 4f works quicker. I was out the other day shooting what I thought was 3f, and forgot my priming horn. Lots of hang-fire, and I decided I must have loaded 2f in my horn instead of 3f. Using 4f, the delay between the trigger pull and the bang is miniscule; using 2f--wow!

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
i heard somewhere that in the old days, the powder tended to be finer that what we have now. then i guess it wouldnt matter if you primed from the big horn, if it was more like 4f anyway.

Posts: 90 | Registered: 03 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
jb76,
I'll put in my 2 centavos on that. Loading powder that's "more like 4f" as the main charge in your gun could be extremely dangerous, due to the extra pressure build-up from the finer grain. Probably if it was "finer than what we have now" that means more like 3f. And 3f primes great!
There are probably experts here who can weigh in on this one.

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Booshway
posted Hide Post
The size of lock and amount of sparks it throws are factors in priming from the main horn. I have used 3f prime in guns with large sparky locks and it works very well for me, one has to try their own outfit to see how things pan out for their situation.I do not know if the experts agree, maybe some will chime in and share with us peons.

Posts: 272 | Registered: 12 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Well this peon uses the same in the pan as I do down the barrel, 3f. Works for me.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
i used to use 2f in my bess to prime,till last season i was face to face with a squirrel at about 20 yards,he was sittin on a dead branch all sqrinched up and a twicthen,i figgered i had him and cut loose,i could see him running away on the ground under the smoke cloud,even though i shreded the branch he was sittin on,at least that's what i'm blaming it on,so i switched to a small priming horn with 4f,see what happens next year

Posts: 334 | Location: s central pa just about nowhere | Registered: 21 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post