New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder horn
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Wanted to share a few pictures of my horn that a fellow on the CLA site made.

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
That kind of artistry makes one fill good just to see it from time to time.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of LeeRoy
posted Hide Post
That is a outstanding horn, you have good reason to show it off.

Keep your powder dry.
LeeRoy

Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
The horn looks really good. Someone did fine work.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted Hide Post
Very sharp!! I like it Big Grin

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a crisp frosty morning

Posts: 354 | Location: Heart of DIXIE | Registered: 18 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
Picture of Seepwater
posted Hide Post
I know the powder horns from 'back east' during the F&I War period and even the Revolution had a lot of scrimshaw (at least the fancy ones). How about during the fur trade era?

shoot first ask questions later

Posts: 220 | Location: Lyman, WY....just 6 miles from Ft. Bridger! | Registered: 09 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Nice horn. Mark

Posts: 164 | Location: Burlington, Wisconsin | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
Nice horn, nice scrimshaw!

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Very fine. Wear it proudly.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seepwater:
I know the powder horns from 'back east' during the F&I War period and even the Revolution had a lot of scrimshaw (at least the fancy ones). How about during the fur trade era?

Scrimshaw, as I understand it, began with sailors who had a lot of down time. They scrimed as an art form to ward off boredom. There is no reason to think trappers, or anyone else, who has spare time would not engage in some creative activity to stay occupied.
What is found in museums?

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
BStaly - Very nice horn indeed, but don't you think it is appropriate to tell us who made it? Such craftsmanship needs be connected to the maker so others may also patronize his work.

"Somebody on the CLA site" ain't much of an attribution. The maker deserves better.

Just a thought.

Col Boone

Posts: 728 | Location: Volcano, Hawaii | Registered: 22 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Sorry I gave his name in another post. His name is David Hasler, he does great work.....B Stley

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seepwater:

good question......could be a good article for Rex Norman to report on. He is soooo good about his research. I know none of my group has eloborate scrimed horns.....just minor stuff. Mine has a 2nd amendment partial quote..."Right to Bear Arms" that was my first attempt at scrim, and a small personal emblem.

Many Knives in Reno

Posts: 1 | Location: Reno | Registered: 26 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Step over to , Thehornersbench,

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post