New
Find
Notify
Tools

TC Alberts' Mayfield Pouch
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted
Good article in this months Magazine.... I always pick up some new leatherworking tips from his articles.

Think I will make this one, only gusset the bag....for more room. Maybe divide the bag.

Nice easy project for you first time stitchers, ... Just follow his directions. Great look, not hard to do...

Great issue... Heck, even that Nesbitt guys article was a page turner... Big Grin

Pease

Posts: 238 | Registered: 08 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the good words on the bag story...
They are much appreciated..
tc

Posts: 29 | Registered: 04 May 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
TCA,

Will make use of your advice,... And will make patterns with notes written on them. So far, all my bags are unique...never made a duplicate.

A friend is sending me a original from the first quarter of the 19th century. Handed down in a direct line through his family. It is in poor condition. Hope to make patterns from it...

I know you have experience with that subject. Any advice on how you have replicated bags without taking them apart, would be much appreciated...

Pease

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Pease...about all you can do is observe and measure. I would have a good bright mini flashlight handy, and some string...use the string to measure with, I use string (or a cloth type tailors measure) because string conforms to the bags surface better than a ruler in most cases...you need to guess about the extra leather added for seams...study as much construction detail and technique as you can and take the best notes you ever did especially on all the little details...then back your notes up with sketches and digital images...it helps if the bag is a relic in some cases because a lot of these "details" will be naturally exposed. Most average old time bags are pretty simple deals and easy to copy...but some old makers were pretty
creative even when making a standard bag...its the little details that teach the most for me, and that set each bag apart.
Once I "understand " how the bag was made, I can make up an accurate pattern...I generally write as many construction notes and details about the original on the pattern as well for future use...hope thais all helps some
tc

Posts: 486 | Location: Illinois River Valley | Registered: 02 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the insight... Wink will post picks when it arrives.

I patterned your Mayfield Bag today. Man, that is a good sized bag. Be great for a Smoothbore. I am going to make one to plan... Then another with a gusset and some pockets. One in the bag, one on it's backside...

Thanks for the great articles, .... And especially for the ones involving leather.

Pease