Find
Notify
Tools

Powder Flask Manufacturer
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
http://i1249.photobucket.com/a...7/srmaples/flask.jpg

I have this flask and am trying to determine who made it. (Trying to post a picture) It appears to be a Colt Civil War Replica with the Cannon, Flags, and crossed rifles. There are some diffeences on this from any others I have seen -
1) Initials 'US' where the rifles cross
2) No crossed pistols on it anywhere.
3) Lanyard rings are on the same side (right).
4) Irons screws hold brass cap to copper flask.

Any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 26 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deadeye
posted Hide Post
I've never seen that one around. It sure is a keeper!

Posts: 1452 | Location: Good Ole USA of course! | Registered: 15 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Agree with Deadeye. Wish mine was like it, lanyard rings and all. Be interesting to see what you find out from greater minds than mine.

Fiddlesticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Notchy Bob
posted Hide Post
That is a nice flask. I don't recall ever seeing one with both rings on the same side. I can't identify it, but I did locate the following: Powder Flask Identification. It looks as if they don't have any entries for military flasks, but there is quite a lot of information there. If you scroll down near the bottom of the page, you should find a "Weapons Identification Service" link. I think there is a charge for the service... Poking around on the website suggests it may be $10.00 for identification and appraisal, if you seriously want to know about the flask you have.

There is also this very interesting website discussing original American military flasks: Peace Flasks.

I bought a reproduction Peace flask from Track of the Wolf last year. I wanted to know who made it before I ordered, and they were kind enough to advise me that Pedersoli not only made the one I wanted, but has practically cornered the market for powder flasks at the present time. I think there were a few other makers until recently, though.

Good luck in your quest! Please let us know what you find.

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Posts: 333 | Location: Florida | Registered: 24 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Notchy Bob,

Thanks for the info, I'll check out these links!

Posts: 2 | Registered: 26 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post