New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bag strap buckles.
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Need one of the bags discribed by the Penobscot Tribe,,,Glooskap,Magic Pouch,hundreds of beautiful girls, eager to overwhelm with love ,,anyone who releases them..

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
In the past I have made my shooting bags without buckles for simplicity. But I have found the buckle to be useful for a couple reasons. You can shorten up the strap to hang the bag over the horn on the saddle. You can hang your tin cup on the strap.

While we're on this subject, does anybody recommend a source for buckles? Either brass or hand forged styles appropriate for the rendezvous period.

Your Most Humble & Obedient Servant,
Bradley C Bailey
AMM #1980, http://www.rockymountainoutfit.com

Posts: 21 | Location: Centennial, Colorado | Registered: 21 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
I find that the 18th century use of button attachment to the corner of the bag, is the most forgiving. The bag hangs better and adjusts to the users position.

Pease

Posts: 238 | Registered: 08 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Just my two bits worth here, but buckles are pretty much the expected standard on well made hunting bags, and most old straps that I believe to be original to the old bags they are with do have buckles.

I think rings are mostly seen on German type shooting bags though "rarely" they are seen on some regular hunting bags, in fact I have one with a ring atachment in the shop for restorations right now, and it has just one ring. This is one of the very few ringed bags besides German dew claw bags Ive actually seen.

I think the button arrangements mentioned are interpratations, albiet very good and likely accurate ones of the Gussler bag, which I believe has no extant straps surviving...

Jim Webbs book has a good example of an old woven strap attached to a pretty early bag, its the bearded McGlemary pouch....

There are many ways to skin a cat, but basing your own pouch work on original examples is always a good idea.
tc

Posts: 29 | Registered: 04 May 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
I can't help mentioning that "bag strap buckles" would be a good name for a rock band. Sorry.

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Period correct rock band of course. "Introducing, on the spoons, Jed!"
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I concur with Mr. T C Albert. I also question tge button fastening system on the "Gusler" bag as to the period the bag was created. Not that it is not useful and practical. But lends itself to being assumed a common method in an earlier era without more then hypothesis.

Posts: 11 | Registered: 07 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dick:
I can't help mentioning that "bag strap buckles" would be a good name for a rock band. Sorry.

Dick

Lol! Big Grin No apology needed, Dick! Smiler

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Montour
posted Hide Post
I think rings on bag straps are not correct for the 18th Century, but are correct for the 19th.

I dont have this plan set,

http://therifleshoppe.com/cata...ns_pouch_drawing.htm

but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that it is for a pouch of this type....

Posts: 150 | Location: Right where Im standing | Registered: 07 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Great point. The square rings and strap hook arrangement there allows for quick and easy strap attachment and adjustment...plus I wonder if it even allowed for the typical buff military leather straps to be made in one shop, and the pouch in another. It could then be assembled later when issued by the rifleman or by the armorer...just my thoughts on the military regulation style riflemans pouch...note also that its a double pouch, as were the riflemans pouches requested by Washington I believe...neat stuff...
thanks again for pointing this out.
tc

Posts: 29 | Registered: 04 May 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Montour
posted Hide Post
The pouch is supposed to have a buff leather devider, so the 2 shop idea would not work.....

Also the Square "Rings" only show up on that one example, the other 3 that I know of are brass rings.

Posts: 150 | Location: Right where Im standing | Registered: 07 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Pare-
posted Hide Post
Bradley,

If you are talking about belt buckles, you might want to contact Curt Lyles or Joe DeLaRonde. I'm sure there's others out there, but that's who I have chosen as far as hand-forged items.

Pare-

Posts: 104 | Location: Little River, I.T. | Registered: 06 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Lads - The folk at Wilde Weavery (Ed Wilde) have offered nice hand forged iron buckles in a variety of the smaller sizes - I have used them on shooting bags, powder horn straps, leather garters, and straps to contain my bedroll. Nicely made, but still "primitive" looking.

Not costly, either.

Check their website.

Col Boone

Posts: 728 | Location: Volcano, Hawaii | Registered: 22 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the recommendations for buckles. By the way I checked the Wilde Weavery website and it seems to be down?

I hope to start making a new bag soon. I will post some sketches when I get to that point.

Your Most Humble & Obedient Servant,
Bradley C Bailey
AMM #1980, http://www.rockymountainoutfit.com

Posts: 21 | Location: Centennial, Colorado | Registered: 21 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Pare-
posted Hide Post
As for the fur trade era, bags are seen on inventory lists coming from back East somewhere and the makers didn't know who or even what size person would end up wearing it. So I tend to think they were purposely made with buckles to allow for proper fit.

Pare-

Posts: 104 | Location: Little River, I.T. | Registered: 06 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post