New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chromium Trioxide
 Login/Join

Free Trapper
posted
This could have gone in gunsmithing also.

Anyone know who has this yet?

The last place I got it was Dixie but I don't see it on their web page anymore.

Thanks
Don

Posts: 154 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: 08 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
What's it used for?

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of GreyWolf
posted Hide Post
IMO you should use the real Aqua Fortis aka Wahkon Bay or get the ferric nitrate crystals from the Science CO.
CT is not only VERY toxic (AF is as well but nearly so in it's final form) plus over time wood finished with CT can and usually does turn pea green. Lots of 1970's and 80's makers found that out the hard way..........

aka Chuck Burrows

Posts: 616 | Location: Southern Rockies | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Ah! Question answered.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Yes I know it's bad stuff, you have to be very careful with it. [this is probably why I can't find it anymore]
I've used this on several stocks along with aqua fortis and after straining using baking soda, have had no problems.
At the moment I'm using it on bone and horn, still have to use baking soda after staining.
Oh and rubber gloves.
I'll check out the ferric nitrate crystals.

GreyWolf. Would you tell me about the crystals?
Color you get? Where to buy, other then on line?
How it's used?
Thank you

Posts: 154 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: 08 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
I think Dixie markets it now as "horn antiquer" in a little bottle. But I could be wrong about that.

Dick
PS I, too have an old friend who had a couple of green stocks develop very soon after finishing them--I think he didn't neutralize with baking soda.

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dick.
I did a little reading on the ferric nitrate crystals.
I've never used it before. interesting.
I've got 3 guns built 1988,1989, and the last I can't remember for sure some where in the early 90's and they are still good. I have seen some green stocks over the year though.

I'll give dixie a call tomorrow.

Don