muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc
What's your favorite thing to sharpen a patch knife

This topic can be found at:
https://muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/14910421/m/9034087938

10 May 2015, 01:50 PM
MountainRanger
What's your favorite thing to sharpen a patch knife
Ok... we all like a razor sharp patch knife, so what is your favorite thing to sharpen it with or on? After many years of using wet stones, dry stones, Arkansaw stones, stones from about every corner of the world including the occasional nice piece of sandstone picked up from the pasture, and having listened to those "experts" (at least those who call themselves experts, or are called that by their friends and relatives)... those who supposedly know about such things, I finally hit upon emery cloth. Yup, plain old, common medium and fine grade emery cloth. Now, go ahead and call me all sorts of names for doing something so radical and because I don't toe the line, but try it... it works damned well and gives you one heck of a razor sharp edge and will stay sharp for a number of shoots... note I said shoots rather than shots. Try it.

Sua Sponte
10 May 2015, 08:34 PM
Rocklock
I use an inexpensive Chicago Cutlery sharpening steel. Just a few strokes every 10-15 shots keep it fit. TC
11 May 2015, 06:43 AM
andy*
I do not remember what grit I use, but I like to sharpen with that ultra fine wet dry sandpaper, that stuff that feels like velvet.
Works wonders on knives and broadheads.
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry
11 May 2015, 09:11 AM
Loyalist Dave
Arkansas stone and honing oil...shaves the hair off my arm when done.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove
13 May 2015, 11:03 AM
kopfjaeger
Soft Arkansas stone, then a hard Arkansas stone with light coat of oil.

" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "
13 May 2015, 06:42 PM
Rocklock
Ok, ok. I re read the question and the term "favorite" jumped out at me. My "favorite" is a laminated medium and hard Arkansas stone bought at Smiths Cutlery in Hot Springs in 1973. Honing oil is used to keep the steel filings floated out of the pores of the stone. I was the only customer and the guy spent an hour showing me the ins and outs, angle, direction etc. Still my favorite. Even use it for my old school Snuffer broadheads.

My MOST OFTEN USED is the above mentioned steel as the straight razor patch knife was set up on the said Arkansas stone. It is quick to pick up and touch up with. No laying out, applying oil, wiping and putting up.

I've had guys at gun shows, scout outings, big box stores etc offer to sharpen my pocket knife using a $100 mini belt sander. I tell em to check my blades first and they just smile and hand the knife back.

I also have a sharpening wheel for an 8" grinder that does quick work of roughing in a blade.
TC
15 May 2015, 04:03 PM
MountainRanger
I've sure tried those Arkansas stones, but have never either had the patience or the talent to use them properly. I respect all of y'all who use them and get good results. I do better with a Japanese wet stone if I have the time, or like I said at the start of this thread, plain old emery cloth. If I need something other than a light touch up, it's medium grade. Otherwise, I keep a 2" x 3" strip of fine grade in my shooting box and in my bag for a quick touch-up. Works fine for me. Like I said, my hat is off to all those who use the Arkansas stones

Sua Sponte
18 May 2015, 02:02 PM
Rifleman1776
I have a simple small 'X' type sharpening steel device. Been using it for decades. Before every shoot I touch up the knife edge with it. Works for me.
30 July 2015, 06:19 PM
Iche Iia
I agree with Andy, I like sandpaper as well. I start with either 600 or 800 grit (depending on how bad shape the blade is in) and work down to 1200 and then to 2000. All available at a auto parts store the sells auto paint.

Iche Iia

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."
30 July 2015, 06:41 PM
BIG-D
The bottom of my favorite coffee cup
31 July 2015, 05:20 AM
Cranbrook
For the last few years I have been using a Japanese green wet stone for all of my knife and chisel sharpening. After I get the edge to my liking, I run the tool several strokes back and forth over my strop. The strop I made from a 6" piece of heavy belt leather. Mounted to a piece of wood for backing. I apply jeweler's rouge across the leather which is a micro fine abrasive.
03 August 2015, 09:51 AM
Wishalot
I carry an old Gerber steel which folds up into a leather handle. I keep Jewellers rouge rubbed into the leather of the handle and finish off with that - holds a real good razor sharp edge, depending on the blade steel, of course.
30 August 2015, 05:19 PM
1clean1owner
I like it. Thanks

"I don't know where we're goin', but there's no sense bein' late." Quigley
02 September 2015, 01:07 PM
Bud in PA
I use a diamond block I picked up at Dixon's years ago. At the time I had a Pedersoli Kentucky Rifle. The lock was small and I had trouble getting flints that were decent. The flints are tiny. I began to use cut agate, and would have to throw them away when they got dull. I found out that a diamond block might sharpen them, and sure enough it did. Nest I tried it on my stainless kitchen knives, which were a pain to sharpen. This did a job on these too. This block does one heck of a job on carbon steel, so this is what I use.
06 September 2015, 01:52 PM
Notchy Bob
I use an old India stone and honing oil for all of my knives. However, I am interested in the technique you use with emery cloth. It seems that you would need to lay it a perfectly flat surface, like a glass table top, to get best results. What do you use? Do you fasten it in place with tape or contact cement, or just hold it with your free hand?

We still have our grandpa's old razor hone in the family. It is made from a piece of petrified wood, with one side worked down to a flat surface and smoothed. I have no idea how it was made, but I understand people used to find chunks of petrified wood in the creekbeds of lower Alabama, where my grandpa lived. Razor hones made from this material were evidently fairly common long ago.

Anyway, I would like to know more about the techniques used for sharpening with emery cloth.

Much obliged,

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife