New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sewing leather
 Login/Join

Factor
posted Hide Post
Heh,Hanshi,other than the fact that you have done a whole lot of things I never got around to,due to Life Happening,we seem to have a lot in common,mainly that I wouldn't trust myself to make anything vaguely useful out of leather.I saw an article once on a hunting bag attributed to Dan'l Boone that was fairly crude,laced together from one piece of leather. I think I might just have enough ability to just about do that....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I'm loving this discussion.

As I have more free tune available, I've acquired more of the tools mentioned for leather working. I sometimes use a wheel for measuring stitch length, but generally use every other point to avoid causing too much stress on the leather. I also use punches, groovers, and double needles at times. The only item I haven't yet used is a stitching pony, 'cuz I carry a pound or four too many to use it comfortably.

I'm trying to attach 3 photos of some of my work as examples. The flint tool case is done with a stitching awl free hand. The spice case is more carefully done with punched holes and double needles The wallet is also punched.

Note that most of my projects use very heavy thread. Four stitches (or so) per inch are plenty to hold everything together for many years. Lighter threads may allow for closer stitches, but not my style. Enjoy

Part Man, Part Critter
Born under the watch of the Great Spirit

Flint Tool Kit

Posts: 71 | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Item 2 Spice Case

Part Man, Part Critter

Spice Case

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Item 3 Wallet

Part Man, Part Critter

Wallet

Factor
posted Hide Post
Nice stuff....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
Nice work! Wink

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Shore tiz'.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Walking Bear 1954
posted Hide Post
http://beebeknives.com/html/ma...sheath_tutorial.html

Link to nice knife sheath new to the forum been working with leather for about year since retiring. Here is a stock cuff my first attempt at tooling need practice I know

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what’s for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed sheep that can contest the vote. -Benjamin Franklin

Stock cuff

Posts: 33 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 14 December 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Forget the rest, learn from the best. Chuck Burrows is gone now, but his work was as good as it gets, and he knew his history very well. He made period correct articles from the 18th c., on up to modern times. One of the greatest leather crafters ever.

http://www.wrtcleather.com/1-c.../_leatherstitch.html

Posts: 557 | Location: geneva,fl | Registered: 29 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Al Stolman and Chuck Burrows....no better craftsmen and instructors.

Posts: 37 | Location: Vassalboro, Maine | Registered: 21 November 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post