Notify
Tools

Fishing Kit
 Login/Join

Factor
posted Hide Post
Yes sir,Uncle Snore,sir....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Nearly 50 years ago when I was in the Navy I used to get away whenever I could and go hitch-hiking around the countryside. Sometime I even hopped a freight train. I was quite a hobo.

I carried a little canvas dittybag. In it I had a knife, matches, a candle stub, and some fishing line and a couple of small hooks.

One time I had made it to Virginia. As night was coming on I circled to the back side of a fair size lake. I caught a pair of sunfish which I broiled over an open fire. Those two little fish and a hat full of huckleberries were all that I had to eat that night. I made a bed of spruce boughs and settled down for the night.

Next morning at quiet, peaceful, misty dawn I was prowling the lakeshore when I spied a good size bass. I tried to entice it with worms and bugs, but it would not bite.
Well, I had one other thing in my dittybag - a good old fashion "cherry bomb". I lit the fuse and tossed the firecracker into the water over that bass.

BALOOOM! A geyser of water shot skyward and the echo of the blast reverberated around the surrounding hills for what seemed like several minutes.

People came running out of several cabins on the other side of the lake. I ran off further into the woods.

I don't know what happened to the bass. I went on into a town and had breakfast at a diner.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Iche Iia
posted Hide Post
Now THAT was funny.

But I'll bet you gained a lot of survival skills without knowing your were gaining them. People today pay good money to learn what you did for fun............and free.

Iche Iia

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

Posts: 379 | Location: Prince George, Virginia | Registered: 04 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Iche Iia
posted Hide Post
Here is my end results. The pouch I got with other stuff off of a trade blanket. The "reel" is made from scrap Spanish Walnut that I salvaged from a kindling pile at a rendezvous. The line is Irish Linen, the sinker is a split .32 cal round ball. The hooks and extra sinkers go in a sleeve in the back of the pouch. The small tin container is for extra sinkers. The only part that is not P.C. is the nylon leader but the only ones that will see that are the fish.

Iche Iia

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

Posts: 379 | Location: Prince George, Virginia | Registered: 04 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Iche Iia
posted Hide Post
One more picture

Iche Iia

Booshway
posted Hide Post
That looks like a good kit. Now put it to good use.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Iche Iia
posted Hide Post
Yep, got all summer to keep the line wet.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Iche Iia,

Iche Iia