Find
Notify
Tools

Experiments that worked
 Login/Join

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted
I don't know why I tried this but I did and it works. Short starter with a vent pick (red ball) in the end and a "day horn" made from a piece of bamboo. Made everything from scratch except the tacks.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
Looks good to me Big Grin

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Nifty idea. Good job.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
That short starter with a pick is a great idea...! What a perfect place to store an extra.... I am always losing picks... Roy Stroh borrowed my last one at a shoot and stuck it in his hat. Its still there, down in Georgia... Big Grin

Pease

Posts: 238 | Registered: 08 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I've got a powder flask made from river cane with turned walnut stoppers and spout.
It holds more than enough for a day at the range or a weekend in the woods.

Posts: 111 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of LeeRoy
posted Hide Post
Nice work people.

With the pick stored like that it would be easy to find.

LeeRoy

Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Hanshi, approxiamately how many shot does your day horn hold??

Ferd
When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is freedom and liberty.
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 16 | Location: Hot Springs, Ar. | Registered: 26 September 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Ferd, It holds around 1/4 lb of powder, maybe a tad more. It was larger until I messed up and split it then had to saw off the split section; live and learn.

Bull3540, yours looks about the same size as mine. I used a large bamboo section for the body and a small tube of river cane for the spout. I carved a little violin peg out of a piece of wood for the stopper. The staples were made from a coat hanger and the ends were sawed out of misc. pieces of wood I found lying around. I already had the tacks.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Both ends as well as the spout are turned walnut that are just friction fit with a little glue to hold them tightly in place. Mineral oil is the only finish used and it gave the cane a sligthly darker tone. I don't know what the stopper peg is made from but it's got a little eye screw on it for a string keeper to go through. I bought it from a fellow from Arkansaw who also makes salt containers from smaller sections of river cane. I will have to post a pic of that salt container as well when I get a chance.

Posts: 111 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of Spotted Bull
posted Hide Post
really nice work guys!

It is pitiful when a man lets his ego push his intelligence beyond his ignorance.

Posts: 55 | Location: Waxahachie, TX | Registered: 20 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post