Notify
Tools

flints
 Login/Join

Hivernant
posted
what kind of flints should I get ,French ,English .or straight cut american

plenty of time for sleep in the grave

Posts: 105 | Location: northern vermont | Registered: 06 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
I like the black english flints from Stonewall Creek Outfitters. Everyone has been perfectly shaped and lasted a long time.
http://www.stonewallcreekoutfitters.com/flints/

Posts: 214 | Location: Big Arm Montana | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
French or English, my guns don't care. Buy them in person and you can pick out all good ones.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
Look up Rich Pierce,I enjoy using his,plus he is a super guy to do business with.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Been using English but just tried a French and got twice the spark. May just be my gun, but I'd try both.

Posts: 82 | Location: north georgia | Registered: 12 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
just a update and thankyou I got 6 of each and the best was French flints,dont know why but the t/c lock likes them best

plenty of time for sleep in the grave

Posts: 105 | Location: northern vermont | Registered: 06 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
And the are Purty too

Posts: 109 | Location: NH | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of SCLoyalist
posted Hide Post
I believe that Rich Pierce has gotten out of the flint business. However, I saw just the other day that Muzzleloading Builders Supply is selling Tex-Ark Chert gunflints (knapped by special needs kids) at a buck apiece. At that price, I think they are worth trying.

Here's a health to the King and a lasting Peace. May Faction end and Wealth increase....Old Loyalist Ballad

Posts: 767 | Location: Panhandle Florida | Registered: 02 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Cado
posted Hide Post
English for me all I've ever used.

Posts: 617 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
The flints Rich made were very good for the price. Not always as good as English, but for the cost, one could change out more often. TOW has good prices on their English and French flints.

Posts: 557 | Location: geneva,fl | Registered: 29 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
For the years that I've been shooting flint, which has been a bunch, I've had the best luck with English flints. I've used a number of sources, but mostly I get them from Track of the Wolf. I tried some French flints in the late 70s but didn't have much luck with them lasting. Whichever you choose, just make sure that they are the right size for your lock. Try them both and just see which does best for you. That's my best advice.

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
If Rich has quit Frowner I guess TOTW is next in line for me,,**** I hope he hasn't though

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of SCLoyalist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mtnmike:
If Rich has quit Frowner I guess TOTW is next in line for me,,**** I hope he hasn't though

Take a look at:
http://americanlongrifles.org/...ex.php?topic=33463.0

Maybe Rich P. is still actively making flints, or just has some stock left, but it appears there are some available now.

Here's a health to the King and a lasting Peace. May Faction end and Wealth increase....Old Loyalist Ballad

Posts: 767 | Location: Panhandle Florida | Registered: 02 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Several things in Rich's life required him to stop making flints for a while. Flints are only a sideline for him. But, he is back at it, albiet, not in high volume. Write him to ask.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of GreyWolf
posted Hide Post
Muzzleloader Builders Supply is now carrying *MADE IN AMERICA* out of Texas Chert flints for a $1.00 a piece in various sizes - basically the same material as Rich's flints. Rich is making some flints now and again so contact him, but as an alternative the MBS flints are mighty fine,
http://www.muzzleloaderbuilder...xt=25&product=Flints

http://www.muzzleloaderbuilder...xt=50&product=Flints

aka Chuck Burrows

Posts: 616 | Location: Southern Rockies | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted Hide Post
I gave these guys a try and have been pleased with the results.
http://www.neolithics.com/english-gun-flints/

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a crisp frosty morning

Posts: 354 | Location: Heart of DIXIE | Registered: 18 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I ALWAYS buy the English flints, but I buy in bulk as I tend to go through at least one at a weekend event (about 70 shots or so)

No matter what kind that you like... BUY THEM IN BULK NOW! Sorry to shout, but the prices are going up, and some places sell them for $3 each... so stock up now before they get any more expensive...

After all...it's not like they will spoil, eh?

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
Just ordered some more flints from Track. These are from Tom Fuller. I use 3/4" in both of my rifles and have have very good luck with them both in consistancy of the picked flints in each order over the years and in the life of the flints in both locks. (one siler and one L&R Durs Egg). Cost per each for my size flint is $1.80

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wattlebuster:
I gave these guys a try and have been pleased with the results.
http://www.neolithics.com/english-gun-flints/
I got to meet Craig here in Ga. at a knap-in just north of Atlanta. For around $5.00 I got enough black English flakes to keep me in flints for a while. Of course you got to turn those flakes into something you can use, but that is part of the fun.

Posts: 82 | Location: north georgia | Registered: 12 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post