New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Horn
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted
Finally got around to making up my new horn...

Picked it up unfinished off a trade blanket. No carving, not bored, crude base plug was in it. It changes color in different light, sometimes in direct sunshine almost a blue, other times a greyish brown Liked its left hand form and colors. It was also cheap, like me... :-)

Anyrate, decided to shorten it and make a lobed horn. Here she is 4hrs later...

Pease

Posts: 238 | Registered: 08 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of LeeRoy
posted Hide Post
Nice work, I like the work you have done.
I like the spout, I will keep it in mind if I get to make a horn.

Keep your powder dry.
LeeRoy

Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
That is a very elegant horn you created. One of the better ones I've seen.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Cado
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Posts: 617 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
Kuddos on the horn.Still not brave enough to try one meself.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Nice,
Beautiful horn.
Question. What is that rectangular item on the spout end? It's visible in pics 3 and 4.
Sparks

"I thought when you said you chased tornadoes, it was just a metaphor."
--soon to be ex-fiance in Twister

Posts: 247 | Location: Boise | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
It is a hand forged staple, ... Used as a attachment for the hornstrap. Originals wete said to have the strap run through the staple then under the horn and back up through the staple. Most modern hornmakers attach directly to the staple directly.

Pease

Booshway
posted Hide Post
That's a pretty horn. Very good looking raw material to work with makes for an interesting horn. You did a fine job with your upgrades too. I know I'd be proud to have that beauty over my shoulder. Now you need an attractive strap to put through your staple and I'm sure you find one or make one to fit that horn.

L8R...Ken

Posts: 403 | Location: In the Hardwoods of Eastern Iowa | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Nice looking horn I like all the changes you made to it.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
That's absolutly beautiful.

Posts: 16 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: 03 November 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Thanks... Smiler

It was part of a whole package. Two of my friends and I made or built everything here...