New
Find
Notify
Tools

18th Century Bag
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted
I did alot of research on this one. This Winter is being spent upgrading a good deal of my equipment. The bag I built is small at 7" by 7" and follows the lines of a 18th century bag. There is a whip on the reverse side to tie the bag to a sash or belt, the strap is narrow and adjustable by a button in the back attacgment. Also it has a game keeper attached to the strap.

The bag itself has a full divider and a folded gusset at the bottom.

All that is left to do is dubbin the bag after aging the sinew..

Pease

Posts: 238 | Registered: 08 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Lookin good!
Walkingeagle

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Thanks,

Based it on a original in my personal collection...

Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Looks like you did a mighty fine job of it too.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
Impressive work there Pease

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
All that is left to do is dubbin the bag after aging the sinew.

Hi Pease. That's a great sized hunting bag. I really like the looks of it. Extremely practical slim without being too baggy. (Ha ha).

Can you elaborate on the comment about dubbing the bag and aging the sinue please.

Thanks,

Bryan

Shoot Safe

Posts: 43 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 15 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Dubbin is a application of a bag conditioner/waterproofing. There are alot of formulas out there. I use a beeswax, beef rendered lard, and cod liver oil mixture. I heat my bag in a oven and rub it in. Then heat the bag again to get the leather to fully absorb it.

The sinew is dyed with a alcohol/glycol mix and then the threaded area is sealed with a amber colored wax.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Well thought out and well done. Good on you.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Very nice replica.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of Spotted Bull
posted Hide Post
Pretty good job there!

It is pitiful when a man lets his ego push his intelligence beyond his ignorance.

Posts: 55 | Location: Waxahachie, TX | Registered: 20 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Looks great Pease and very close the original.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Thanks all....

I modified the pattern and made a Lemuel Lyman style ball and shot pouch. It has two belt loops on the back, and measures 5" x 7"...

This will serve me well when doing a 1750's reenactment, here in Maine.

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Looks great! I really need to get sewing!

Preserving history by recreating the past!

Posts: 93 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
From the looks of the first bag, I'd say you're a better craftsman than the fellow who made the original! You sure do some nice work... Keep it up!

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post