New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fixed Powder Measures
 Login/Join

Factor
posted Hide Post
Hey that's a pretty good idea! I'd warn against parafin and stick to beeswax though. On a really hot day parafin can get soft or even melt, and one wouldn't want to dump powder fouled with parafin into the gun while loading. Might only be a summertime at the range concern, but still, such would be my luck. Big Grin

I like the fixed measures, some references call them "chargers", as mentioned, no chance of screwing up the setting when loading.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of GreyWolf
posted Hide Post
FYI - beeswax and paraffin have similar melting temps:

Beeswax 144-150°F

Paraffin 125-165°F

So neither do real well on a hot day - if using paraffin just get one of the higher temp versions - the package will generally tell you the melting point - Gulf Brand Paraffin is a common one found for canning and melts at around 140°
Both types will get soft at even lower temps - I use a lot of beeswax in my leather sewing and it will get malleable soft with just body heat alone...

aka Chuck Burrows

Posts: 616 | Location: Southern Rockies | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
how "big" an antler to make 90gr measure?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Mike M, You'll want that antler tip big enough for a 1/2" hole about 1 3/4" deep. That, of course, is approximate. Shoot sharp, Mike N

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
Mike N. Thanks!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Mike M, Bravo!! Mike N

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
If you have access to some river cane, powder measures are really easy to make. Cut the cane about 4' long above the nodule and again below the nodule about 3/4 of an inch. Then shape it how you like and bore a hole for the string. Measure your charge and pour it into the cane. put a rod down to the powder level and mark it. Measure that length from the mouth of the cane measure and cut it off. Done.

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
If it is hot enough to melt wax this ol boy is soaking in the brook,me and duke.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Walking Crow:
If it is hot enough to melt wax this ol boy is soaking in the brook,me and duke.
Amen brother....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of JoeM
posted Hide Post
I make mine mostly out of deer antler, but have used 45/70 brass.

With the 45/70 brass I just plug the open end with a dowel about 5/16 to 3/8 inch / glue it & pin it / cut the dowel off leaving about 1/2 inch of it exposed to drill a hole for a piece of leather to hang it from my bag - cut the base off & dress it smooth to the point of what I want for a charge. Nothing fancy just like my antler powder measures, nothing fancy, but workable.

Ohio Joe / Chadron Fur Trade Days

Posts: 69 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 05 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I've used antler and river cane and both make excellent measures. Up here there ain't no river cane. But I have a couple I use a lot & made years ago. All bamboo has a great use.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
We don't have river cane here either....Might have to get inventive....

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Back in 2012 I suggested use of a turkey wingbone. The large piece that folks often add to a turkey-bone turkey call.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loyalist Dave:
Back in 2012 I suggested use of a turkey wingbone. The large piece that folks often add to a turkey-bone turkey call.

LD
Now that you mention it, I remember that. Thought it was a good idea at the time, and still do, thanks for reminding me....