Find
Notify
Tools

Fixed Powder Measures
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
Picture of AK Mike
posted
I have been looking at getting some fixed powder measures to be closer to authentic at events. All the ones that I can find give the grains that they hold. But none that I have looked at specify if they measure in 2f or 3f. Anybody have a clue about that??

Posts: 66 | Location: Big Lake, Alaska | Registered: 26 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
It's true if you use the same volume measure to pour a charge of Goex 2F vs. Goex 3F...the volume of 3F will "weigh" less.
My brass measure set at 100grns throws 100grns weight of 2F...but when it full of 3F that charge only weighs 94grns.
BUT.....so what.
At least in my opinion, bottom line I find a particular size measure of powder that gives me what I'm looking for in a given load / given rifle / smoothbore, and settle on that...regardless of what the charge might actually "weigh"...or if 2F weighs more than 3F, etc.
To me, it only matters after finding a particular measure that works, to weigh the charge so if I lose that measure and have to get / make another one, I know what to build it to and not have to waste a lot of money reinventing the wheel at a range.

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Why not just make your own? You can then mark it 2F or 3F yourself. Make two, or two dozen.
They are very easy to make, and can be made from all kinds of natural materials, such as horn, bone, wood, river cane, or if you don't care about being pc, they can easily be made from a modern rifle cartridge.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Get one of the brass ones in a capacity larger than what you need and file/grind the end until it throws the load you need. Most old pouches had two measures. Get one for your lighter target load and another for your larger hunting or long range load.

Posts: 332 | Location: South Coast (MS) | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Most of mine are bored out antler peices. For my trade gun, I use a 70 gr bored out antler peice for the powder charge and a charge of #7 1/2 birdshot. I made a wooden measure and carved it with octagon sides for my #6 grouse load. I also made a larger wooden measure for #4 buck shot for use on the trade gun trail at rondys. The buck shot measure is round so I can tell each measure from the other.

My go to rondy shooti powch has 3 maseures haning from it. a 20 gr pistol measure though I only use 15 gr for most shots. I also have 2 rifle measurs hanging from that powch, a 70 gr and a 90 gr bored out antler piece. Each one is shaped different so it's easy to tell them appoart.

Yup, just make your own and you'l love the individuality of each one.

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Montour
posted Hide Post

Posts: 150 | Location: Right where Im standing | Registered: 07 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
That's about all I use are home made fixed powder measures. These are just a few I've cobbled up. It's a big part of the fun of muzzleloading, IMHO.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
Picture of Seepwater
posted Hide Post
I can make you one (or two or three) out of antler if you want me to!

Seepwater

shoot first ask questions later

Posts: 220 | Location: Lyman, WY....just 6 miles from Ft. Bridger! | Registered: 09 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Mine all look like Hanshi's, antler based.

Rich

Posts: 363 | Registered: 25 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Hunts4Deer
posted Hide Post
Between my wife and I, we had a pretty good collection of measures made from turkey bones and antler tips, spanning 50 to 90 grains, or so they said. One day I sat down with my reloading grain scale and a can of FFG and checked them all. Some were higher, some lower, but all within 2 to 4 grains. With a filing off of the top edge, or a little drilling and reaming inside I brought them all to even 10 grain increments. We normally use FFG, but if we decide to go to FFFG, it doesn't really matter that I calibrated them for 2F, since all the measures will still be spaced apart at fairly close to 10 grain increments.

When I checked what they held in FFFG, yes there was a little more weight, due to the more densely packed grains. But if you switch from 2F to 3F, you can normally drop down 10 grains to get the same power, so they say.

So my suggestion is you will most likely build up a collection of a few different measures, not because you need them, but because you can't help yourself from buying them when they jump out at you and say "buy me!" Then at some point borrow a scale and adjust them if you want them to be exactly 10 grains apart, whether in 2F or 3F.

John
Vive le Roy!

Posts: 513 | Location: Colony of Maryland | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Montour
posted Hide Post
Ive got a 65g tin measure, and a 75g antler measure, and a fairly decent repro of a period adjustable measure in the bottom of the shot pouch. Figure Im more than set.....

Posts: 150 | Location: Right where Im standing | Registered: 07 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I make a lot of these powder measures. Here's one of my favorites, holds 60 grs. 3F and slightly more 2F but it actually makes no difference unless your looking for a certain velocity using either 2F or 3F.

Posts: 17 | Registered: 21 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Hank, that's a very nice measure you made.

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
very cool measure!!
I have e few made from antler also
none carved like that !

flint lock shooter

Posts: 13 | Location: Marlin Pa | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
As said, making yer own is fun, easy and cheap. I have made many over the years.
When I was doing rondys I used a half-charge measure. The up close novelty targets do not require much killing so I used light charges. For long shots or hunting I just dumped twice.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Antler measures are so easy and fun to make I always seem to have one I'm working on. I don't calibrate by weight but by volume, using a brass adjustable measure instead of a scale. I am not capable of the fine work of Hank12 but they still work just fine.

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
If you want easy, this is it, (not pretty but e asy)
Take a rifle cartridge case, squeeze the neck flat, bore a hole for a thong, cut the base off,put in the amount of powder you want, mark it and cut if off, smooth up the edges, done. I usually have a xtra like this in my pouch in case I loose my nice ones,

Posts: 17 | Registered: 21 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I just finished one for Patience, my new .40 which took a long bit arriving. I used a turkey wing bone, and a wooden plug. Once it was fashioned, I used rock salt in my adjustable measure set for 60. Then I poured this into the new wing bone measure, and held it up to the light.
The sunlight allowed me to see exactly where the measured amount ended. I tapped the side gently to make it settle, and then marked the outside with a thin pencil line. A few minutes with a file, and I had filed away the extra portion of bone and voila, a 60 grain measure.

We are required to use 60 grains for deer here in Maryland, and .40 is the smallest caliber. Next I will make a 40 grain measure for small game.

You can also sometimes use a chicken leg bone with only one end cut off and fashion a very serviceable though crude looking measure as well.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
......and not only is it a truly enjoyable pastime but such measures made of bone, antler, bamboo, etc, are at least - more or less - PC if not HC. I also feel it puts me more "in touch" with that time period. Another advantage is that they won't slip out of adjustment like an adjustable but will always measure the very amount they are designed to hold.

Graybeard
Picture of Seepwater
posted Hide Post
A quick way to 'adjust' your load is to pour melted wax into the measure. You can tune it by removing the wax with a pen knife.

shoot first ask questions later

Posts: 220 | Location: Lyman, WY....just 6 miles from Ft. Bridger! | Registered: 09 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post