New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cutting a card
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Years ago I read an article in Muzzle Loader or Muzzle Blasts about how accurate one had to be to cut a playing card in half with a round ball. Does anyone remember this article or hopefully have a copy? Thanks Jon

Posts: 6 | Registered: 23 November 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of SCLoyalist
posted Hide Post
I don't remember the magazine article you saw, but here's one probably similar:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/off-hand_shooting.htm

Card cutting with a muzzleloader is discussed in the latter half of the article.

(The technique or trick as I was told was to lean and sight with the rifle about 1 inch off to the side of the card, so you could
see plainly where the card was, then move back into an upright stance and touch off when the card became essentially invisible as it
was edge on to you.)

As to how accurate you need to be, for windage, the ball has to pass and stay within 1/2 ball diameter of the card's face as it passes it, but you have a fair margin for error with respect to elevation.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SCLoyalist,

Here's a health to the King and a lasting Peace. May Faction end and Wealth increase....Old Loyalist Ballad

Posts: 767 | Location: Panhandle Florida | Registered: 02 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
The last shot at our trailwalk is to cut a card at 10 yards or so.... I found that for me to hit the edge of the card I need to aim just to the side...then align the sights with the card.
If the light is right sometimes I can even see the card.
A good trick if allowed is to bend a corner of the card to make it easier to see.
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Andy,
No card bending allowed!! We cut cards at 20 yards at our club and I have had wsome luck over the years. Had a shoot off a number of years ago and cut 4 out of five, the other fellow cut 3. I was using my .40 caliber Vincent. Don't know how to post but I still have the cards and would send pics if someone wants to post. Sighting to the side of the card and moving over the card is the best way I have found to do it. The hit, in our case only counts if the card is in two pieces, a cut doesn't get it. Light plays a pretty big part of this game but not as much as luck.
Mark

Posts: 68 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 31 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
I've cut a few cards in my day. Largely taking my time... and a degree of luck or being somewhere close to "the zone."

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Papa,
Yep gotta ask first if its ok to bend or not...I have cut a card many atime without bending.
Glad you kept your cut cards...they make a great rebuttal to the "you can't hit anything with those old muzzleloaders" comments.... Smiler
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
I might try that if I can shoot at one facing me full on! Big Grin

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I have cut a few over the years. Seeing the card is the hard part for me, it vanishes. I know one shooter who almost never misses. He has his technique down cold.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I guess thats the test, when shooting a flintlock. when you can "cut the card" you beyond the flintch, I just burry the card in the sight and when it is invisible I touch it off I have used the same TVM 45 Tenn.poor boy for more than 30 yrs and can still Cut the card. and its still as much fun as the first time.

Posts: 8 | Location: preston,Idaho | Registered: 30 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Fincastle
posted Hide Post
Has anyone ever split the ball on a double bit axe burried in in the face of a stump. As you split the ball, if you make a good shot you break a clay pigeon. on eiither side of the bit. That's one of my favorite targets.

A nod's as good as a blink to a blind horse

Posts: 143 | Location: Indiana Territory | Registered: 22 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Yep, have split a few balls. Have also replaced a few axe handles!!
Mark

Posts: 68 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 31 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Yep, have split a few balls. Just as difficult as the card.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Fincastle
posted Hide Post
Hey Papa, copy that on the axe handles, been there, bought the t-Shirt.....

A nod's as good as a blink to a blind horse

Posts: 143 | Location: Indiana Territory | Registered: 22 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post