New
Find
Notify
Tools

compare black powder?
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
I'm running low on black powder. The only kind I have ever used is GOEX. Now that I need some more I am wondering how other brands compare with it.

I am not a competitive shooter anymore. Most of my shooting is for hunting and some target practice. I use a .50 percussion longrifle and a .62 flintlock smoothbore.

Any advantages/disadvantages between GOEX, Swiss, Schuetzen, and GOEX's Old Eynsford? Or any others?

Also I recently purchased my first black powder cartridge rifle, a .450 B.P. Express. What is a good powder for reloading that?

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Old Enysford, and swiss are somewhat hotter, so if you get some reduce your load by 10% or so. I have also found they are somewhat cleaner burning. I have never used Schuetzen powder, so i cannot comment on it

Posts: 20 | Location: SE CT | Registered: 27 March 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Okay. Thanks

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
As the cheapskate on the forum I'll add that I will shoot any black powder I can afford, in other words, the cheapest.

In the past I've used Dupont, G-O, Elephant, Goex and Jack's Battle Powder. There are probably a couple I've forgotten. Graff's seems to be priced okay but once again, whatever is the cheapest.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I won several pounds of Schutzen in the last few years. A totally unscientific comparison with Goex showed no noticeable difference. As I said nothing scientific just an off hand shooter getting like results to 100 yards.
TC

Posts: 138 | Location: Cedar Valley, Travis Co., TX | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Agree with Rocklock. No noticable difference between Goex and Schuetzen.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the past I've used Dupont, G-O, Elephant, Goex and Jack's Battle Powder. There are probably a couple I've forgotten. Graff's seems to be priced okay but once again, whatever is the cheapest.

Yep I've used GOEX, Elephant, Diamondback (repackaged Elephant), and Graf's as well. I like "inexpensive" too.

I just bought five pounds of Graf's (three of which were "reenactor" grade for blanks so uber cheap), and two pounds of GOEX..., as I like to buy GOEX when I buy bulk, if for no other reason that it's made in the USA while Graf's is German, and I don't want some Washington Schmuck stopping inport of foreign BP and only then find out GOEX is out of business. Wink

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
I will shoot what ever I can get, but mostly Goex.
It works great , Mark

Posts: 162 | Location: Burlington, Wisconsin | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Me, too.

Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
All I have ever found available in my neck of the woods is Goex. A friend gave me a few pounds of DuPont about 10 years ago and I used it up and then back to Goex.

I did not really notice any difference between the two brands. All shot well and fowling seemed same. I am thankful to find black powder from a local gunshop without going through the online order deal. Just old fashioned I guess! I grew up where you pull out your money and take home the item you put your hand on.

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markh:
I will shoot what ever I can get, but mostly Goex.
It works great , Mark

That goes for me as well.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I just wish more gun shops carried black powder. ATF requirements for storage have made it too costly for the low demand. Besides, it is getting harder and harder to find gun shops. Towns have been passing zoning laws that have separation distance requirements that too often cannot be met.

Posts: 20 | Location: SE CT | Registered: 27 March 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
On one of my scouts last year I stumbled upon a tiny, one room, log cabin gun shop tucked away back in the hills of northern Georgia. If you didn't know about it, you won't find it unless you happen to bump into it on a wayward ramble, as I did.

And, the proprietor wants to keep it that way!

Nifty little place run by an old man (older than me!) The shop is chock full of antique rifles and shotguns. You want an original 1886 Winchester; go there. How about an original Fox side by side 12 gauge? Mounted deer heads, coyotes, squirrels, and ducks are scattered amid the clutter. Long range rods, and even bamboo fly rods lean at odd angles here and there. A cracked glass display case holds old reloading tools, various gun parts, and hunting knives. Cobwebs encircle the windows. Everything is covered in a fine dust.

He sells GOEX by the pound. Last year it was $18.00 plus tax for a pound of 3F. The chances are, though, that his stuff has been stored there for years.

Greenhorn
Picture of JackAubrey
posted Hide Post
Goex has always been the most available to me however I have bought some Graf & Sons German powder and am quite pleased w/ it.

Posts: 36 | Location: Texas,USA | Registered: 14 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of JoeM
posted Hide Post
I've pretty much have stuck with Goex,,, though I did buy some old Meteor 1fg Black Powder (made in the '70s in Great Britain), at State Shoot some years back... I could hardly pass on it at $6.00 a pound... It's obviously a dirty shooting powder being 1fg, but all in all - it's black powder and it don't shoot to bad. I've used it in .40 through 28 gauge bores, both flint and cap locks. However, for the serious shooting - it's Goex all the way...

Ohio Joe / Chadron Fur Trade Days

Posts: 69 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 05 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Goex has always been the most available to me however I have bought some Graf & Sons German powder and am quite pleased w/ it.

I just found out last week that Graf & Sons no longer buys their brand of powder from Germany.

It's now made here in the USA under contract with GOEX.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post