Find
Notify
Tools

Tobacco Horn
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of sawbones
posted
I don't know if they existed, but I want to make one! Tobacco dries out in a leather pouch as well as a linen one. I have a lot of spare horns, and I think a small buffalo horn would be perfect and I would use the normal plug end as the opening. So I wouldn't do anything to the pointed end.
Any of you yahoos have a suggestion as to rig the opening end???

Never flinch

Posts: 524 | Location: Surprise Valley, California/Nevada | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Pare-
posted Hide Post
That's a good idea. I wonder if a rawhide cover would work for a base plug? I've seen tobacco tins and glass snuff jars in collections. Still like your idea though. Post some pictures if you have the time.

Pare-

Posts: 104 | Location: Little River, I.T. | Registered: 06 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of sawbones
posted Hide Post
I sure will, if I can figure out how to post them!

I am thinking about putting in a plug just like a powder horn, but then drilling out a large hole in the center, say 1/2 inch and then fitting a stopper, maybe an old base fiddle tuner or something of that size...

Never flinch

Posts: 524 | Location: Surprise Valley, California/Nevada | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Sawbones,

I thought I'd share a photo of what I've carried my tobacco in for the past 20 years or so. It's not a horn but it sure does work great. I call it my "tobacco bottle." It's really just a rawhide container, made just like a shot charger and fitted with a tight wooden stopper. I cut the dry rawhide to shape and stitched all around the edge (BOTH harness stitch AND whip stitch) with deer sinew for thread. Then I soaked it in warm water for several hours 'till it was as wet as it would get, and packed it full of sand. Pack it in TIGHT to stretch the rawhide and form the nice rounded (bottle) shape (this is why the double stitching, there's lots of force in the sand-packing step). Whittle a nice tapered plug and jamb it in as tight as you can get it. Leave the plug over-long for now and carve the top end to shape after everything's dry and fits well. Then let the container dry completely. Empty out all the sand. Drop in a wad of beeswax and GENTLY warm the "bottle" over your campfire as you look into the neck and roll the melted wax all over the whole interior, especially the seams. Put yer tobacco in and enjoy! Your tobacco will not dry out, nor will it get damp in a rainstorm.

I'll admit that mine does look a bit dented now and worse for wear but I have carried it everywhere for 20 years. My bottle's about 3" in diameter and holds about 1.5 oz. of tobacco. These "bottles" make great tinder carriers as well, I've graduated from char cloth and have just made and carried charred punk for many years, the little lumps of punk pour out of the "bottle" just as nice as can be. I've never had it get damp, even in a canoe upset. Just my 2 cents... works for me.

little turtle

PS. The pipes in the photo are a clay trade pipe that says "Catlins" on the side and a Micmac styled pipe I carved from soapstone...

Posts: 2 | Registered: 25 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Sorry the photo didn't attach with that last post. I thought I had it OK when the message said "attachment uploaded successfully". Anywhoo, I'll try to send the photo again now. If there's no photo attached to this post, I guess I just don't know how to do it and any how-to advice would be much appreciated.

little turtle

This message has been edited. Last edited by: little turtle,

tobacco bottle

Posts: 2 | Registered: 25 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't recomend Buff horn for a tobacco horn. the smell of the horn would not be good with the tobacco. Cow horn would be a better choice.

Steve

Posts: 25 | Registered: 22 May 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Will Ghormley
posted Hide Post
Hey little turtle,

I don't guess you picture took that time either. I've never had any luck doin' it myself. I usually make a webpage, then give everyone the link to get there. I know lots of folks have mastered the photo thing, but not me.

I surely would like to see your tobacco bottle though!

Will

"When Liberty is illegal, only outlaws will be free." Will Ghormley

In 1913, the gold and silver backed dollar was worth a dollar. Today, that same greenback is worth 3 cents. In just under 100 years, the Federal Reserve Bank has made the dollar virtually worthless. Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths. Compensate for your weaknesses." Will Ghormley

Posts: 657 | Location: Ankeny, Iowa | Registered: 28 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
How about closing the end with a large cork, similar to a salt horn.

Posts: 332 | Location: South Coast (MS) | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of NWTF Longhunter
posted Hide Post
Somewhere I saw someone that was making a tobacco pouch out of a tanned buffalo scrotum.

Posts: 797 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 29 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Back in the day (B.C.) Before Cancer,,I put a slice of apple in my pouch with the tobacco,or 1/4 tsp of you favorite Skull Buster,, or flavoring,apple juice and the like,close the pouch,set it in the sun and problem solved.
Just like flavoring your favorite,Bull of The Woods,Hound,Beechnut,Days Work,,,,,,

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of sawbones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NWTF Longhunter:
Somewhere I saw someone that was making a tobacco pouch out of a tanned buffalo scrotum.

Now, that would be good. I can probably get one of those. You could put enough baccy in one of those to last at least a month.

Sorry the photo never turned up. I would like to see that tobacco bottle

Never flinch

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Sawbones,

I actually have a tobacco horn. A cousin of mine traded some batteries for it when he was staying with a tribe in Africa. The plug end has a beaded leather cap with a strap that fits over the tip. I've never used it but someone in Africa did because the inside still smells pretty wild.

Posts: 22 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 08 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Joe, This has nothing to do with tobacco horns but I did want to say that I liked your story about Encouraging Beginners in the current Smoke & Fire News. Good doin's! Shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Mike. I've been a long time reader of Shootin the Bull, and can't tell you how helpful it's been with my muzzleloading!

Posts: 22 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 08 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Joe, Thanks, Ol' Hoss. It's always nice to hear from readers. Shoot sharp's the word, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
well, it's been a while, let me try this photo-posting thing once again... nope, still no luck I guess. How do you fellas get a photo to show up on here? Maybe I need to start an album?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LittleTurtle,

Posts: 15 | Registered: 25 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post