MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Accoutrements    which side to wear your pouch?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

which side to wear your pouch?
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Howdy,
I carry my pouch on the right with my horn, but I'm told its easier on the left. What's the thought out yar?

Pat

Posts: 13 | Location: foothills of the Blue Ridge, at the meeting of the Mountain and Carolina Roads  | Registered: 15 November 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Varies from one individual to another. Try it both ways and see what works best for you.

Posts: 214 | Location: Big Arm Montana | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of dances with mules
posted Hide Post
If you're right handed, wear your pouch and horn on the right. If you're left handed, wear 'em on the left. Let your dominant hand take care of things.

Posts: 16 | Registered: 11 October 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Alright, seems like commonsense does win...have just been reading posts on another forum that point out that they were more commonly worn on the left for right hand shooters...

Posts: 13 | Location: foothills of the Blue Ridge, at the meeting of the Mountain and Carolina Roads  | Registered: 15 November 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
Wearing it "cross-handed" would be awkward for me,course I hunt from ground"blinds" so having to reach around myself to get something quick,just don't work for me. Shoot right-handed,carry my supplies on the right side.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I'm left handed so I carry my horn and pouch on the right side but if I'm shooting a right hand gun I carry my horn on the left side I like the powder horn away from the lock side.

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of SCLoyalist
posted Hide Post

In addition to the argument of ease of access for the dominant hand, most paintings I've seen from the era show the pouch and horn on the right side. Also, that's where military uniforms and manual of arms put it and a civilian with militia or army training might tend to do it that way too.

Here's a health to the King and a lasting Peace. May Faction end and Wealth increase....Old Loyalist Ballad

Posts: 767 | Location: Panhandle Florida | Registered: 02 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
To each his own I guess. I shoot right handed, but carry my pouch and horn on the left side. It just seems more natural to me that way.

Posts: 56 | Location: Southwest Arkansas | Registered: 09 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Being left handed, I wear mine on the left hand side. Powderhorn on a separate strap worn on the left side also. Very careful to remember to replace the horn stopper after loading. Powder measure hanging from front of horn. Tried the right side but it was just too much juggling from right hand to left. Letting the dominate hand do the task(s) just works better for me.

Posts: 69 | Registered: 12 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I usually wear mine on the right side and I'm also right handed. Two of my bags have the horn attached, anyway.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
As a lefty ( who can use his right for a lot of things)I wear my bag on the right but my horn on the left. Evens the weight out and the horn is out of the way of the bag.

Posts: 214 | Location: Big Arm Montana | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Thinking on it,Having the horn/pouch on the right if you are right handed keeps the strap on your left shoulder and from catching on the rifle as you shoulder it!!! and the other way as well.Iam right handed but shoot left and wear my pouch/horn on the left side cause my domenent hand is my right,pour powder into the measure left to right and then into the barrel.
Wondering if some of the older treckers were left handed and force converted in school to right hand,was a time when that happened..you learnd to do it right handed or else......

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I'm left-handed,but right-eye dominant.....Decisions,decisions......

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Walking Crow,you're right about teachers.My Mother had to go to school and do battle to get the teachers off my back about changing hands....Still,I ended up doing most things with either hand,including shooting(tho I'm more accurate right handed).

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Having been in 1750-1865 living history, we kept our right shoulder clear, which was why I also wear my bag and horn on the right...plus being right eye dominant, it's natural. Seems like it is pretty common to wear it on your dominant side, rather than crossed.

Great insights...thank ye....
Pat

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I think that most left-handed people end up being at least somewhat ambidexterous. We have to be since this is a right-hand dominated world and most tools, guns, and gadgets are designed for a right-handed user.

My Father was a natural lefty, but he was raised in the old European fashion and taught that the left-hand is simply not used for many things. Dad grew up completely ambidexterous.

I,too, am a natural lefty. I also had a time in school with teachers trying to make me use my right hand. My Mother came to bat for me and soon put a stop that! I can do many things with either hand, but I am not as totally ambidexterous as my Father was.

So, I can shoot with either hand, but I am much better when I shoot left-handed. I am also left eye dominant, so sights line up properly for me that way.
I can shoot handguns fairly well with either hand, but when firing a handgun with my right hand I still use my dominant left eye to line up the sights. However, when firing a rifle right handed I do sight with my right eye.
I was a police pistol and shotgun instructor at one time, long ago.

I carry both my bag and my powder horn on my left side. I can easily reach either one with my dominant (left) hand. And, I mostly shoot long guns off my left shoulder.

But, regardless of all that, experiment for yourself and hang your bag on whatever side seems best for you. Unless, of course, if you are in a military reenactment group. Then you'll have to conform to regulations. Otherwise, there are no regulations.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
As a right handed person I hang both on my right side for convenience, but it should only take a few minutes for anyone to see what works best for them.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I am a lefty and wear my pouch and horn on the left.

Posts: 7 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted Hide Post
Right side for me

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a crisp frosty morning

Posts: 354 | Location: Heart of DIXIE | Registered: 18 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Sage Rider
posted Hide Post
Just thought I would throw in my two sides worth....LOL. I am ambidextrous, predominately left handed. The only way I can effectively make this work for me is the "horn" is on the left side, the shoot pouch on the right and I shoot right handed..!! Works great for me!!!

"Don't Retreat, just reload"

Posts: 411 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post