MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Accoutrements    .024" commercial precut / prelubed shooting patches ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.024" commercial precut / prelubed shooting patches ?
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted
Personal choice, except for a couple of occasional unique needs, I've always used commercial precut / prelubed patches...either patches under the T/C label (which are made by OxYoke) or the OxYoke label itself.

My current Flintlock barrels have deep .016" round bottom grooves, making the bore space more roomy and I had to bump up from my normal .018" patches to .020-.022". The good news is I had a huge inventory of patches, and a lot of the bags actually measured .022"-.024"...instead of the .018-.020" that their bags were labeled, life was good.

I'll be running out of those accidentally thicker patches before long so I'll need to re-supply. I'm specifically interested in .024" patches for my .45cal because I also have a couple thousand .440" Hornady balls on hand from a place going out of business years ago and that size ball in the roomy round bottom barrel really needs a .024" thick patch.

But a few Google searches so far haven't turned up a commercial supplier who makes .024" precut / prelubed patches...ie: OxYoke seems to stop at .020".
Does anyone know of a commercial supplier who makes thicker patches than OxYoke?

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Rb, I can't help you with the precut patches but I, too, found .024" patches to work better in my Rice, round groove barrel; which you recommended to me a while back. Serendipitously, I found them to work better in my other square groove flint barrels. I found the .024" mattress ticking at Joann's and cut my own. That could be a reasonable alternative if your search ultimately fails.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hanshi:
Rb, I can't help you with the precut patches but I, too, found .024" patches to work better in my Rice, round groove barrel; which you recommended to me a while back. Serendipitously, I found them to work better in my other square groove flint barrels. I found the .024" mattress ticking at Joann's and cut my own. That could be a reasonable alternative if your search ultimately fails.
Yes, already have some .024" cotton duck from there and I know it works fine...just didn't want to go through all that if I didn't have to...already have the material laying out on the work island waiting to be cut right now

Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
Haven't turned up any sources, although I actually got an Email reply from Robert Rightnour himself (OxYoke) who confirmed that .020" is the largest they normally plan for, although from time to time there will be a run of material that might produce some volume of patches a few thousandth's thicker, like I experienced.

Meanwhile, I had just enough .025" cotton duck left over from a previous project to cut and lube 500 - 1+3/8" square patches. Excellent snug fit in the .45cal x .016" round bottom barrel, pulling them back out shows good patch weave marks in the ball, etc...should get me through year end with hunting season shutting off weekly range trips the last couple months.

But if I can't find a commercial source, with the on hand inventory of .010" under bore size balls I have in a few calibers that now all have deep round bottom grooves, I'm going to have to buy / wash / dry enough extra material to cut & lube another few thousand patches.

Hunt Like The Settlers

Booshway
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
cotton duck

Hope it works for you. There are all kinds of duck material out there. In fact, I don't really know what the definition of a 'duck' material is. Most duck I have seen is a way too loose weave and not very strong. Have tried several and always found them unsuitable for ml use. Good luck.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Walking Crow:
Might try www.emshootingsupplies.com
Thanks but they're like OxYoke, don't go larger than .020".

08/05/13-This morning I tested the homemade square .025” x 1+3/8” cotton duck patches and they "fit" fine, however:
At 110grns some patches shredded;
At 100grns a couple patches tried to start shredding;
At 90grns the patches were normal

NOTE: Interestingly, the 110grn load was the most / extremely accurate.

To be honest I think I should have used more lube on them and will try more lube next trip.
(or it may be the cotton duck material is just not be strong enough for high powder charges...if not it'll do fine for all my other shooting)

PS: Picked up 3 yards of .025” blue & white mattress ticking at Jo-Ann Fabric today...washing & drying it now...will cut & lube enough for a range test trip (and I assume it will be)...then go back and buy the rest of that bolt of ticking while I know its available.

Hunt Like The Settlers

Factor
posted Hide Post
Sure is nice to know cartridge shooters aren't the only ones having to scrounge and hunt for shooting supplies......well,actually the whole situation sucks....thanks for posting this stuff tho guys,it'll give me a little bit of a headstart for when I pay off that Tradegun I'm buying.....Can hardly wait/gathering shooting supplies together.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
quote:

Picked up 3 yards of .025” blue & white mattress ticking at Jo-Ann Fabric today...washing & drying it now.
Ironed it flat and it was tighter / thicker as I suspected it would be, now measuring .028".
Cut / lubed a few, seated a couple in the shop...absolutely perfect.
Will pick up the rest of that bolt of ticking today.

Hunt Like The Settlers

Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boartooth:
Sure is nice to know cartridge shooters aren't the only ones having to scrounge and hunt for shooting supplies......well,actually the whole situation sucks....thanks for posting this stuff tho guys,it'll give me a little bit of a headstart for when I pay off that Tradegun I'm buying.....Can hardly wait/gathering shooting supplies together.

I learned recently that the baby blanket flannel I had been buying for many decades for cleaning patches is now made only in synthetics.
I fear that soon ticking may also get switched to synthetics. Might be time to buy an entire bolt.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
RB have you every tried using a .010 and a .015 together to get the size you need?

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B Staley:
RB have you every tried using a .010 and a .015 together to get the size you need?
I have tried a few patch combinations over the years when experimenting to find what would be a good final thickness, but not that particular thickness. Thought about that approach but long term decided it might be simpler (for me) to just deal with one patch. This will go pretty quick...I cut / lubed / and packaged 300 of them this morning (30 to a bag)...only took about an hour and a half. Leaving to run an errand and will snag the leftover bolt at Jo-Ann Fabric on my way.

Hunt Like The Settlers

Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
OK, the new bolt of mattress ticking had 10 yards on it. I bought the first 3 yards off the bolt yesterday, then bought the rest of the bolt just now...average 400 patches/yd = 4000 patches.
I have about 2000+ .440"s, 1000 .490"s, and several hundred .570"s on hand that need this thick patching for their .016" deep round bottom groove barrels...this should take care of them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: roundball,

Hunt Like The Settlers

Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
The new .028” pillow ticking parches in the deep .016” round bottom grooves are outstanding.
Plus it’s as easy to load and seat down as my .024” patches were.
The surprise is how the Rice 42” x .45cal x 1:66” barrel loves 110grns Goex 3F.
My usual 90grn charge was still excellent, plus, the 100 & 110grn charges were also outstanding.

This target was shot trying the 110grn charge from my normal seated hunting position at 25yds, no bench, and aside from the delay-fire flyer up high at 12 o’clock from not managing my flint, the 5 shot group below it speaks for itself.
Will see where it prints at 50yds next trip, and if it doesn’t require any sight adjustment…which it shouldn’t and something I don’t want to do…then I’ll experiment with the 110grn charge for deer hunting this fall just for something different to try.

Rice 42” x .45cal x 1:66” x .016” round bottom grooves
110grns Goex 3F
.028” Pillow Ticking / Natural Lube 1000
Hornady .440” ball

Hunt Like The Settlers

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Good shooting looks like your ready......Smiler

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
When I found the thicker mattress ticking at Joanne's, I was delighted with the better ballistics it allowed; not only in my Rice barrel but in the others as well. With my method of measuring, I call it .024" even though initial measuring (calipers) indicated .028". And as rb mentions, the thicker material is superior in those radius groove barrels. The prb doesn't slide down quite as easily (kinda loose, actually) but the added resistance in no way hampers the gentle seating pressure. I only have three yards and need to get on the ball and stock up.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
Just stood at the work island in the kitchen with a cutting mat & rotary cutter, finished cutting up the rest of the first 3 yard piece I bought. Took and hour and I now have a total of 1200 patches done...300 cut & lubed from a couple days ago...and now 900 more stored in a ziploc bag.
At roughly an hour / 1000 I only have 3 hrs work left...will do 2000 @ 1+3/8", and 1000 @ 1+5/8". Then I'll just lube 300-400 at a time as I need them.

Hunt Like The Settlers

Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roundball:
The new .028” pillow ticking patches in the deep .016” round bottom grooves are outstanding.
Plus it’s as easy to load and seat them down as my .024” patches were.
Done!
All 10 yards of .028” pillow ticking has been washed / dried / ironed / cut up.
3000 @ 1+3/8” and 700 @ 1+5/8” square patches.
That’ll cover the left over inventory of .010” under bore size round balls (.440” / .490” / 570”) for a snug proper fit in their .016” round bottom groove barrels. Bagged and stored, I’ll lube batches as I need them.
Once I got set up and tweaked the process, it took a lot less time than I thought it would.

Hunt Like The Settlers

Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
quote:
EQUIPMENT
TVM Early Virginia
Rice 42” B-weight swamped barrel
.45cal x 1:66” x .016” round bottom grooves
Chambers Deluxe Siler
Davis DST
NOTE: 110grn charge makes an audible ‘crack’ sound…next range trip I’ll check it for accuracy.
If it’s as accurate (or more so) than 90grns, I’ll just use 110 for my deer load instead of 90.
Just back from testing / wringing out that 110grn charge at 50yds from a hunting position / no rest.
Groups were basically the same as my regular 90grns charge EXCEPT that there would be a ball 2-3" off from the group every time, and I'd find an occasional patch where pressure was leaking through a groove.
Tried a group with an OxYoke OP wad, and had a couple of worse flyers as if those wads might have turned on their sides while being seated or something, dunno.

But with the heat index at 109* I gave up and will just stay with the regular 90grn charge that I know works.
Wink

Hunt Like The Settlers

Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
Range tested the homemade square .028” x 1+5/8” pillow ticking patches in the round bottom groove .58cal today and they're perfect.

Hunt Like The Settlers