Find
Notify
Tools

More gear pics
 Login/Join

Hivernant
Picture of Fincastle
posted
Here's some more of my stuff.And my trekking pards'. Thanks for looking.

Chris

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

A nod's as good as a blink to a blind horse

Posts: 143 | Location: Indiana Territory | Registered: 22 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Cool stuff,thanks for sharing.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Those are some well-fed horses,heh.

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Sage Rider
posted Hide Post
You guys look outfitted pretty good. Really like the center seam moccasins, and the cabin....must be having fun!!!

"Don't Retreat, just reload"

Posts: 411 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Fincastle
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys, the cabin is actually the armory at Fort Wayne in northeastern Indiana. Wish it was mine, it's a pretty sweet re-creation of the old fort, complete with three barracks buildings, officers quarters, and a mess hall. All the barracks have a fireplace in each room, second floor as well. My Rev' War Regm't was on a winter "campaign" there this past February, pretty cool, I'm used to makin' cold camp out on the ground. It was a real treat to have a fire, and a clean straw tick for sleepy time. I pulled Armoury duty all weekend, so I got to hang out with all the toys, muskets, rifle guns, and I had all the cold "beverages", close under guard of course, ha ha.

Boartooth, my ponies are kinda fat aren't they, hadn't noticed that till I looked at these pics.

Thanks,

Chris

Posts: 143 | Location: Indiana Territory | Registered: 22 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Fat horses winter better than skinny ones.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Fincastle
posted Hide Post
Heya Scoundrel, you got that right...

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Neat stuff. Mocs look very comfortable.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Fincastle
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rifleman, you know after 5-6 pairs that I completely botched, I think I finally got my pattern right. As you probably know these dudes wear out pretty quick.

So I've been searching for a way to make them more durable, as well warm, water proof, and comfortable. I used 3/4 oz deer for these, lined with a scrap of 6pt blanket left over from a capote I made a few years ago. I'm experimenting with a heavier 5/6 oz cow hide, with blanket lining for winter trekking/hunting. I will probably use the same leather to cut out a footbed liner for extra thickness, and then sandwich that in between the inside of the sole and the blanket liner. May not be PC/HC, but they should make for some butt kickin' winter mocs.

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

Chris

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Chris:

I really like the horn. Nice, basic and shows the struggle of a working man.

Also, like the white and red striped blanket. Miller shows that style in many of his paintings from the 19th century.

Rio

Posts: 140 | Registered: 18 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Night Owl
posted Hide Post
I agree with the others, great stuff...especially the mocs!!

Posts: 265 | Location: Upper Peninsula of Michigan | Registered: 03 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Yep,once they get their winter coat,those ponies should be ready for any winter goins on that you might care to do.......Hate to see skinny critters.

Hivernant
Picture of Fincastle
posted Hide Post
Amen to that tooth!! And I'm ready, headin' down to the Falls of the Ohio next weekend for a little get together with some old friends. Can't wait!! Takin' both of my ponies with me, had to get em' fattened up so they have the gumpshin to swim over to the Caintuck side don't ya know.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Well, that's good thinkin', fat people float better than lean ones and I guess horses would be the same. Layer of insulation never hurts neither. Anyway, they look good to me.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Fincastle
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the comments on the mocs guys, I've worked really hard trying to develop just the right pattern for them, I hope I've finally got it right this time.

My next trick will be to do the same with a Ft. Ligonier style shoepack, and I'm working on a western style hard sole side seam, for all you mountainy man coons....

Free Trapper
Picture of LeeRoy
posted Hide Post
That is some nice gear.

LeeRoy

Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Fincastle
posted Hide Post
Thanks Leeroy