New
Find
Notify
Tools

New shot pouch
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
I made myself a new shot pouch in anticipation of a new fowler. It measures about 7x7 and is sewn from 3-4 oz leather. I sewed in a linen liner and interior pocket. The strap is linen and 6 oz leather with a forged iron buckle. After I made it I soaked it in walnut dye for about two weeks. It had several coats of olive oil/bee's wax rubbed in. Hope y'all like it.

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Here's another picture

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Looks awesome!! Man I wish I had talent like that.
Take care
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I still mess up. See the stark white sticking inside the bag? I had to fix how the straps were attached to the bag and how it hung.

Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
That really is good work! Don't know what the white is that you mentioned, but there are lots of ways to cure little evils like that... go the the hardware store and get a stain stick. MinWax makes them in all their shades. Pick a nice dark one like Special Walnut and just go over the spot. If you have a bit of stain, put it on a Q-tip and cover the spot. It really is a nicely done bag!

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Thank you sir. The white I'm talking about is the thread where I had to reinforce the strap inside the bag. That piece of linen thread didn't get dyed.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I'm working on a knife and sheath now. I took some inspiration for a post several months ago where a guy who's name I for got reworked a green river butcher knife into a ball grip trade knife. I'm trying to do the same. I cut and reshaped a green river butcher knife kit I bought from track of the wolf. I've about got the walnut handle shaped the way I want it. Cutting the shape of a ball grip and re-profiling the shape of the blade was easy with a drimel tool and belt sander. Shaping the wood for the handle is giving me fits trying to get it even!!!

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Looking very good, woods loper. You do very good work.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Here's the knife I'm making. It started out as a green river butcher kit from Track of the Wolf. I reshaped the blade with a belt sander and cut down the handle to the shape of a ball grip with a drimel and cut off wheels. I colored it with cold blue then rubbed it back with steel wool. That was a mistake to do it first because sanding ruined it so I will have to do it again. The walnut handle is still in the process of final shaping and are just glued on for now. I have some heavy gauge copper wire to make rivets with when I am happy with it and drill the holes.

Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
Nice work on the sheath too. I like making center seam sheaths also.

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
That's a really good job on the pouch Woods Loper. And the knife is looking good too. Waiting to see the finished product. This is one of the fun things about our hobby/lifestyle; making all this fun stuff. Good job!

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Very nice work on the bag and the knife!

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Posts: 212 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted Hide Post
Both look darn good.

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a crisp frosty morning

Posts: 354 | Location: Heart of DIXIE | Registered: 18 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of kopfjaeger
posted Hide Post
Both are nice. Looks good.

" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

Posts: 51 | Registered: 07 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deadeye
posted Hide Post
Woods, That's a really cool looking bag! Can you tell me more about the dying process and using the beeswax does that keep the dye from rubbing off on your clothes?

Posts: 1452 | Location: Good Ole USA of course! | Registered: 15 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Walnut has never rubbed off on me. I bought a pound of powdered walnut hulls and put in in a 5 gallon bucket of water to soak for a few days. After I sewed the bag and strap I put it in the dye bath for about two weeks, stirring it up every day. After I take it out and it dries, I rub a mix of bee's wax and olive oil (the same thing I use for patch lube). This will darken and soften the leather.