New
Find
Notify
Tools

An Original Bag
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted
This was gifted me by a fellow that I have never met. We met on a forum and became good friends over many years. It is in delicate condition, yet still mostly intact. It is pressed flat from storage. But the bags bottom is gussetted. Evidence of where a button once was sewn to the bag for the flap. It is a divided bag. Signs of two attachments to the original non-adjustable strap. And one attachment to the back of the bag...

Pease

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pease,

Posts: 238 | Registered: 08 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Pease, Some doin's! If that pouch could only talk. And no ball pocket like so many of the old pouches. Shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Really interesting thank you for sharing Pease

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Very interesting.
What do you know of it's history? e.g. age, where it was made, what is stitching thread, etc.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Very cool! What are the dimensions, width, & height? RH

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
It is a small bag...7"x9".... And the strap is but 42" to its attachments.

The bag is from Pennsylyvania. Oral history goes back to about 1820.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pease,

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Nice piece of history! Do you believe that the "loop" on the back was a belt loop? Appears to be 5 or 6 oz. cowhide?

Posts: 18 | Location: Vassalboro, Maine | Registered: 25 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Dick,

Probably a piece of horse harness, by the looks of it.

Free Trapper
Picture of Talltree
posted Hide Post
Pease,
When I was a teenager, many many years ago, my grandfather gave to me an orginal BP rifle and bag. The Bag also had a loop sewn onto the backside of the bag, and my grandfather explained to me that the loop was used to keep the bag close to the side of your body, via a belt or sash and not allow the bag to bounce around while carrying it. The sholder strap was used to carry the weight of the bag. The orginal bag was in such bad shape that through the years it totaly came apart, plus I was young and dumb and didn't know what I had. Still have the rifle but unfortunately not the bag. Plus I will add, the bag was made of veg. tanned cow leather. The rifle, bag combo has been in my family for 5 generations now and going on to 6. I do have one question, is the attachment shown in your pictures possible a tallow patch lube container? It looks that this may be what it is in your picture. On the rilfe I have mentioned, the patch box has evidence of having patch lube carried in the box.

Talltree

Keep your tail high and dry!

Posts: 173 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post