Find
Notify
Tools

My product review
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted
I got some of these recently... the first time I have ever used a precut patch, lubed or not. I have to say that I was very impressed! Firstly, they loaded easily, with the daisy edges folding very nicely around my .445 ball. There was no effort required in short starting, and I alternated with both my bench rod and my rifle's ramrod over about 20 shots...very smooth. I found a greater consistency on paper at both 25 and 50 yards in my groups compared to either my pillow ticking or flannel patching material. Might be me though. These days, with my old eyes, any sort of nice group is pretty good luck.

Good product! One other thing... I took some out of the plastic bag they come in and put them into my belt bag. They separate pretty easily too, a real positive since I shoot out of bag and horn at our shoots.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MountainRanger,

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report been thinking about trying them were you get yours?

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I checked prices, and October Country's is $6.99 PLUS shipping. I found them on eBay too for $9.99 and free shipping. I think it would have been about the same total from OC. I ended up getting them from eBay since I was getting a couple of other things at the time.

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Do you have a smoothbore to try these in?

I ask as on another forum we are discussing why there is no reference to folks ever patching with cloth, a round ball in a smoothbore. Now I have seen my smoothies shoot better with bare ball over a paper wad, or with ball encased in a paper cup from a cartridge...the theory is that the standard patch folds in inconsistent ways in a smooth barrel ...

...but these might cure that inconsistency...

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hey Dave,
No, no smooth bore yet to try them in. This poor boy can't afford what I want yet. Sadly, I have champagne tastes on a beer budget. I don't know if they have the patches larger than .58 cal yet. Once again, I used them today at our club shoot (woods walk) and I was pleased at how easily they loaded.

Sua Sponte

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I have to wonder "why"? If you are going to participate in a traditional activity why use stuff that comes in a plastic bag? What is the point to using these at all?

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
A non-judgemental observation from this poor boy...Everything comes in plastic bags anymore...

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Rifleman1776: I am curious to know if you are so traditionally pure that nothing you use in your "traditional shooting" has ever seen life in a plastic bag. Kind of hard to keep from them unless, of course, you forge or cast your own jags; if your cleaning patches come from old linen shirts or if you actually buy them from a supplier. I'd also be curious if you even bother to read what I originally wrote when I said that I had never used a pre-cut patch lubed or not before. Why is it even important to you post such a strike? There are folks who shoot out of boxes on occasion, and who might enjoy this kind of product. Lots of folks who enjoy a dress-out shoot use pre-cut patches... whether they cut them themselves or (God help us and them) might have the audacity to purchase something that comes in a plastic bag. Why the hell do you care?

Maybe MtnMike was right.

Sua Sponte