Find
Notify
Tools

Plain horns
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted
Made myself a couple of plain hunting horns an each has different use. The first holds Fg powder that I use in my 12 ga smoothbore an the second holds FFg that I use in my 54s. Both are right side double twist that I mounted with pine plugs held in with brass nails. The straps are just some scrap leathe that I had around an needed used. Both are air tight an fit my side like a glove. I just eyballed everything so what ya see is what ya get. Hope ya like

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a crisp frosty morning

Posts: 354 | Location: Heart of DIXIE | Registered: 18 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I respectfully disagree that these horns are "plain". They are darn well crafted and attractive, if you ask me.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Very nice job.....B Staley

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Cado
posted Hide Post
If those are plain I don't want to show mine. Nice horns you have there.

Posts: 617 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
Picture of Seepwater
posted Hide Post
Both look good!

shoot first ask questions later

Posts: 220 | Location: Lyman, WY....just 6 miles from Ft. Bridger! | Registered: 09 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
"PLAIN"? Those are nice! I can show you "plain" horns if you want!

Good work.

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
I like them both.
Looks good.

Don

Posts: 154 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: 08 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
very nice good job

Posts: 37 | Location: TIVERTON RI | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Simple maybe, plain, no. Nice horns wattlebuster those
are just to my taste.

Posts: 207 | Location: The Folle Avoine | Registered: 19 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I am niether cultured nor educated. But I know that simplicity can be it's own elegance. Or something to that effect. Great horns!

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Plain? Well that settles if I am going to show any pictures of what I have done. They look great. You can consider mine umm more plain and leave it at that.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of LeeRoy
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with the other veiwers, that they are great.

Iam in the need of a powder horn, so a trip to Tandy is in order. Thay had some horns on the shelf the last time I was there.

LeeRoy

Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Really nice. What did you use for a plug at the spout?

RED

Posts: 12 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada [east of Maine] | Registered: 26 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted Hide Post
Red I used a small fiddle peg from track of the wolf on the top horn an on the bottom horn I whittled out a piece of curly maple that I had left over from a rifle build. You probably cant tell but if ya hold the bottom horn up to the sun you can see how much powder is in it Big Grin

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a crisp frosty morning

Posts: 354 | Location: Heart of DIXIE | Registered: 18 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Hey wattlebuster. What did you use to turn down the tips of your horns?

Posts: 207 | Location: The Folle Avoine | Registered: 19 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted Hide Post
Jared... The tools I used are files of various sizes and pocket knife as a scraper some sandpaper of various grits an 0000 steel wool. Hope this helps you

Pilgrim
Picture of kopfjaeger
posted Hide Post
Nice horns.

" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

Posts: 51 | Registered: 07 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Better than I could ever do!

Posts: 214 | Location: Big Arm Montana | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Idaho Mountainneer
posted Hide Post
I like 'em. Very nice.

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't really call those plane horns. They look pretty fancy from my view.

Posts: 140 | Registered: 18 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post