New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to store raw horns?
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
I recently got a couple of Buffalo (American Bison) horns that I will be making into powder horns. My question is how to protect these horns from getting bugs that drill through the horns. I had that issue in the past years ago and I want to keep this from happening again.

My other question is regarding sun damage to the finished powder horns. I've read that these horns are prone to severe sun damage on the side exposed to the sun when in use. I've read that this side fades out and develops bad cracking. I'm wondering how to finish the horn to also help prevent this damage from occurring.

If you have any experience making buffalo powder horns, I can use all the tips I can get.

Thank You.

Bryan Enoch

Shoot Safe

Posts: 43 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 15 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Good questions.... I'm looking forward to these answers also.....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I've made a few powder horns for myself and family, but they have been cow horns, not buffalo (Bison). I've never had a problem with them fading from exposure to the sun. I may be wrong, but it seems that would take a lot of exposure, such as leaving the horn lay out in the sun for days at a time.

As for keeping bugs away from raw horn, I simply keep them in a box with some camphor (moth balls), that or you could use some red cedar chips in the box with the horns.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
They should be OK on a shelf where air can circulate. Never keep in a confined space like a box or drawer. Sun damage is not a problem unless you leave them outside. Make sure the core is removed and they are dry.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice.

Bryan

Shoot Safe

Posts: 43 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 15 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post