New
Find
Notify
Tools

Altoids tins
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Has anyone tried burning and japanning Altoids tins? Any other suggestions for similar size tins? I need a few for carrying char cloth, a butane cigarette lighter (for emergency use) etc.

Posts: 7 | Location: GA currently, formerly Defiance MO | Registered: 18 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Sage Rider
posted Hide Post
They work great. Just toss them into a fire, burn off the outside stuff, and you are good to go!!! ps...don't let them get toooo hot though or they will warp!!!

"Don't Retreat, just reload"

Posts: 411 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I have burned the finish off a few and than steel wooled them, finished with a light coat of bee's wax.They turned out great and I haven't had any problems with rust.

Big Lee

Posts: 46 | Location: PawPaw,Mi | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deercop
posted Hide Post
I've had problems with some of the newer tins. The printing doesn't burn off! I've even got some of the cans red hot.
Had to resort to a wire brush and steelwool.

Posts: 649 | Location: Clovis, New Mexico | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sage Rider:
They work great. Just toss them into a fire, burn off the outside stuff, and you are good to go!!! ps...don't let them get toooo hot though or they will warp!!!

Right. That is just how the real mountain men did it. Wink

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I also burned off the paint in a fire and rubbed them down with steel wool. I use them to carry premeasured shot charges and wads / cards for my fowler. Best regards. Rockerhound

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I use both the big ones and the "tiny tins" that they used to sell. The new ones with the lettering embossed into the metal I have never used. There are other tins available that work well.
I like the little tins to carry my prelubed patches in. The big ones I use for many things including char cloth.

Steve

Posts: 25 | Registered: 22 May 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of woodman
posted Hide Post
The ones with the embossed lettering hammer out into a nice domed lid.

Posts: 357 | Location: Colorado Territories | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I have a good supply of the little tins that once contained percussion caps and musket caps. Some are quite old having been purchased back in the 1960s. I use them for lubed patches, wads, etc. The oldest ones are bare tin with a paper label on the lid and these are ultra easy to clean off. The newer ones are painted and would require more effort to clean.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Ah, the Alt-noids are among us...

Woodman, what form or bowl did you use to shape the lid into a dome? I've got a small number of those tins myself. Shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've got a couple of them inside each of my shooting bags to hold various items. You can buy just the tins without anything painted on them or if you don't like the new embossing that Altoids stamps on there you can buy a tin of "Fisherman's Friend" cough drops which come in the same flat tins. Here's a link to a place where you can buy those kind of tins;
http://www.papermart.com/Produ...tGroupID=19037#23271

quote:
Originally posted by MikeJ:
Has anyone tried burning and japanning Altoids tins? Any other suggestions for similar size tins? I need a few for carrying char cloth, a butane cigarette lighter (for emergency use) etc.

Posts: 111 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Nesbitt:
Ah, the Alt-noids are among us...

Woodman, what form or bowl did you use to shape the lid into a dome? I've got a small number of those tins myself. Shoot sharp, Mike

Used a sand bag to hammer on to dome then hammered on anvil lightly to smooth.

Posts: 357 | Location: Colorado Territories | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bull3540:
Here's a link to a place where you can buy those kind of tins;
http://www.papermart.com/Produ...tGroupID=19037#23271
Excellent website, thanks for posting the link...

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Used a sand bag to hammer on to dome then hammered on anvil lightly to smooth.

Woodman, I'll try it!! Thanks and shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
You can also find tin boxes at artbeads.com under Crafts and Accessories. Look for Tin Boxes.

Posts: 48 | Registered: 20 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Montour
posted Hide Post
http://www.hotdiptin.com/tinware/tobacco.html

I really like Shay's tinsmithing. He uses actual hot dipped tin, something that Ive not seen since way back when Chuck Baker took me on as an apprentice for one summer. The Hot Dipped, looks much different than electroplated tin, or in the case of these altioids boxes, raw steel or sometimes even, dare I say it, All-you-minimum.

And well, buy buying from Shay, you support a real working 18th Century Tinsmith.

Posts: 150 | Location: Right where Im standing | Registered: 07 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Rather than burning them, why not sand the paint off and re-paint them? In my opinion, this is the better option. For one thing, they don't rust as bad. Rather than having a mess, you can have a nicly painted tin, say blue or white. On one, I left the outer red paint and just sanded the center where all the writing was at. Just had to get rid of "Altoids" and re-painted that inside and bottom white. They look nice and stay nice. They make nice patch containers or if using a shotgun, wad containers.

The only time I'd consider burning one is if I was going to use it over and over to make char cloth in. In that case, throwing it into the fire makes perfict sence.

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I have hammered lots of these. No bag needed, just start around the edges and work your way in, it domes on it's own.

Just used a auto body hammer by the way, but a ball peen would work as well.

Added almost a 1/4" of space, allowing for a bigger piece of flint.

Posts: 39 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
thanks for the picture.

Rich

PS: to the person who injected the PC issue, I hope you never have a heart condition or diabetes. If you do, please enlighten the rest of us with the frontier medicines you substitute.

Posts: 363 | Registered: 25 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Montour
posted Hide Post
Not to Sharpshoot ya, but ever use a wagon with an internal combustion engine to arrive at a Rendevous, or a telephone to call up your pards? Big Grin

Posts: 150 | Location: Right where Im standing | Registered: 07 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post