Find
Notify
Tools

Personal flint striker
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Hey guys!
Some time ago I was at a medieval event, and there a couple of blacksmiths onsite. I went to one of them and asked how much he'd charge to make me a two-finger striker. The amount he quoted was more than my wallet could handle, which made me kinda sad. I thought a bit, then asked him if he could show me how to make one myself.
He asked me if I was willing to do the work at the forge, and I agreed. He searched through his steel scrap, and found a piece of high carbon round stock. He then told me to put my hand on his anvil, with my fingers out to indicate the size striker I wanted. He marked it out with a piece of chalk, shoved the bar into the fire, and told me to start cranking the bellows.
When the steel was bright red he took it out, laid it on the anvil, told me to hold the tongs, and hit the steel with a cross peen hammer a few times. Then he handed me the hammer, and showed me how to hit the steel to start making the round bar flat.
Took me a while to get the hang of it, and he had to help some when I goofed, but pretty soon I managed to get the bar flattened and stretched out. Once that was done, he had me cut the length needed off the bar, and started beating the ends, turning them into points. When those were done, he showed me how to start curling the ends around, making the bar into a C-shape.
Whene that was done, he had me hammer the sides of the piece until it was as straight and flat as I could get it. I gave the piece a few licks with a file to clean it up some, so we could see how it looked. When I said it looked like what I wanted, he told me to bury it in the coals and start cranking the bellows again.
Time to harden the steel.
He told me to take it out when it was really glowing, and drop it in the water bucket. Took two or three heats to get it right, but when I did the little sucker threw good hot sparks!
I worked with the man for about three hours making my striker. When it was done, he told me that for someone who'd never worked at a forge before I was pretty good, and that I listened better than some of his apprentices!
I asked how much the striker cost now; he said that, as I did most of the work(incidentaly, there were people standing and watching as we worked, so I was kind of demonstrating the art of blacksmithing) he couldn't charge me for it.
I got me the striker I wanted, at the cost of sore arms and sweat equity.
Unfortunately, I can't provide photos of my work. Sorry.

Posts: 527 | Location: New Jersey(for now) | Registered: 24 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Good to hear from you again lostrifle. Glad you had a good experience and got your striker for a good price.
Hombre del Bosque

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Wow what a great experience and a chance to learn. Something to treasure and remember.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I use the little wonder mostly for lighting my pipe, at demo events like Jacobsburg. I tell people it's a primitive Zippo; flint, steel, and a tinder tube. They all fit into a long oval Altoids tin; I pounded the raised lettering on the lid flat, burned the paint off and, while the metal was still warm, gave it a coating of beeswax to prevent rust. Looks real "primitive"!

Posts: 527 | Location: New Jersey(for now) | Registered: 24 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
You were very lucky to meet such a craftsman who was willing to share his knowledge and experience. I hope that you immediately went and bought a lottery ticket after that!!! By the way, where was this event held, in New Jersey? Have a great day, Flintlockjoe.

Posts: 45 | Location: Rockland County, NY | Registered: 29 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of Laughing Bear
posted Hide Post
Warning! Tangental topic coming up.

Lostrifle, You mentioned a tinder tube. I bought one from Track a couple o'years ago. So far all I've been able to do with it is increase my frustration level. I even swapped the rope for some wick I have lying around for my coaloil lanterns. With that I got an ember once.

That's the back story. Now the question: What's the secret to using the dang thing? It'd be cool to be able to light my pipe with the "primitive Zippo", but so far...nada.

Thanks.

Posts: 61 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta | Registered: 16 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Newoodsrunner
posted Hide Post
LAUGHING BEAR i make those fire tubes and what i do i go to a fabric store and ge pure cotton rope they use it for binding i think any way all i do is char the end with a candle then when i wantto light my pipe cigar ijust use my flint and steel it cvatches a spark after 1 or 2 strikes alot of my friends uses them and like the idea no matches or lights keeping it PC

Posts: 461 | Location: SW Okla | Registered: 02 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Newoodsrunner
posted Hide Post
sorry about the spelling i'm in a semi dark room should have proof read before i replying

Posts: 461 | Location: SW Okla | Registered: 02 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of Laughing Bear
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I think the stuff Track put into the tube was window sash cord. It never worked, even after I threw it in the laundry to take off that coating.

Next stop: my local fabric store.

I'll post again after I try it this weekend.

Thanks again.

Posts: 61 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta | Registered: 16 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
You can go to Wally World and get the cord they use for sewing into the bottom of curtains. Pure cotton, and about 2-3 yards of it. I just char the end after I twist the cord into the tube. You can also find curtain cord at JoAnne's fabric stores.
Sometimes it may take me a little while to get a spark to catch, but that's mostly dull flints or bad technique.
Good news; my friend let me borrow his camera, so I can post a photo of the striker.

Booshway
Picture of Newoodsrunner
posted Hide Post
Lostrifle that's the stuff i use and it sure works great for me i would have put a picture on the site but i'm not puter savvy like the rest of you guys lol

Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
By the way, where was this event held, in New Jersey? .

Wasn't in NJ. It was held somewhere around Albany; a medieval event we called "War of the Roses".
BTW, the first tindertube I ever got was from, IIRC,Smoke N Fire. Bought it at their booth at Pennsic War.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's the secret to using the dang thing? It'd be cool to be able to light my pipe with the "primitive Zippo", but so far...nada.

Thanks.

You hold the tube on top of your flint, with the cord out about 1/2 inch or so; fan the charred end out a little, to provide more surface for the spark to catch. Strike the flint with the striker, so the sparks fly upward.
Took me some practice to get it, especially cause I use flints small enuf to fit into the little case.