New
Find
Notify
Tools

book
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
totally unsure what forum to put this in. Since my question is about any possible book it becomes an accessary (accrutament) I put it here.

Question is ... Does anyone know of any book that lists all the different muzzle loaders with the tech information on each. Say I wanted to know the twist rate on a factory cva 45 cal mountain rifle or an overall length of a lyman trade rifle. I am hoping there is a book some place that has gathered the information into 1 spot.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 31 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
To my knowledge no such book exists, though it should. There are several options, however. Get the DGW catalog. In the back section all manner of information is listed. You can also log onto a manufacturer's web site though that info isn't always presented. A lot of this can be found but you do have to search for it.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Notchy Bob
posted Hide Post
Sam Fadala's Black Powder Handbook and Black Powder Loading Manual would probably be about as close as you can get. These, in their various editions and revisions, had a lot of details about production guns in the 1970's and 1980's. I bought both from the author in the mid or late 70's, but mine are in storage at this time. I'll try to dig them out when I get a chance and give you more details. I am pretty sure these are out of print, but your local public library may have copies for you to check out. Used copies are pretty dear, if the Amazon Marketplace is any indication.

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Posts: 333 | Location: Florida | Registered: 24 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Hanshi
DGW=?

Posts: 6 | Registered: 31 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronadrum:
Hanshi
DGW=?

Sorry; Dixie Gun Works.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted Hide Post
The black powder loading tells the specs on quite a few models.

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a crisp frosty morning

Posts: 354 | Location: Heart of DIXIE | Registered: 18 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post