New
Find
Notify
Tools

why caps?
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add we have a competition, match and flint, shooting clay's, and match won two out of the last three,
James

A gun without hammers, looks like a spaniel without ears
King George v

Posts: 29 | Location: staffordshire england | Registered: 17 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
You say you won two of the last three?Very nice!!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
What IS a matchlock,anyway?....Ok,on reading the last few posts again,I see what you're sayin,James,but I still don't know what a matchlock is?

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
A matchlock is basically the first ever hand held gun, imagine your flintlock rife, but instead of a flint to fire it you have a length
of burning string which you place in a serpentine you then open the pan which is covering your touch hole which has priming powder in it , aim pull the trigger the burning match gos into the pan and, if your lucky , it gos bang

King George v

Posts: 29 | Location: staffordshire england | Registered: 17 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
They are truly neat guns, by the way.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Once you are used to it, and it dos take some getting used to, getting the match just right in the cock , and judging just when to open the pan
a matchlock is as quick , no hang fire, as a modern gun

King George v

Factor
posted Hide Post
Oh geez,this is embarrassing....of course I knew what a matchlock is...An arquebus is one...I don't know how I could have forgotten....I'm gonna go hide now,maybe sit on my rocking chair and mumble at my wife.....geez.....

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
On a range they are good fun but walking in the woods , with a lighted match, not sure when you are going to get a shot, not so much fun

King George v

Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
I'd also be a little scared of my powder horn wrapped around my shoulder getting close to that hot wick! Eeker

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Is it safe for me to come out yet?Maybe if I just stand here quietly,and drool?.....Yes,I've always wondered how anyone could hunt with one...

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
In the 1640,s you carried, your charges in small bottles on a bandoleer across your chest,I was wearing one of these and I fired a shot, and,I still do not know how it happened, but all 12 charges went off, one after an other,luckily, I was wearing a good thick leather coat ,so no real damage was done,it certainly made me jump!!

King George v

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Scary!

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
??!!!!!!

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
When you think about it,its one of the things the old ones had to endure , , it certainly concentrates the mind wonderfully, and these people certainly walked the woods with a matchlock, complete with burning match,

King George v