New
Find
Notify
Tools

tents
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted
does anyone have any input on using a bell backed wedge tent with a wood stove Thanks

Posts: 232 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 10 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
What size?
Standard British/Continental Infantry or larger?

Do you want to cook on it as well or just heat the tent?

How handy are you with making stuff DIY?

You're going to need to install a "stove jack" piece into the tent. Two locations either the bell, or the roof of the tent. I've seen it done both ways. I'd Look into running the smoke stack out the back, through the bell, coming off the stove at 45 degrees, and the with an second 45 degree turn toward the sky, but with a short stack about 12" beyond the second turn. That way the stove chimney doesn't poke above the top of the tent ridge, over your tent nor the tents near you..., and you have very few pieces of chimney to tote around. You will need a small iron support for the chimney outside the tent. This then places the stove jack and it's flap at the very back and low, so that if you get a very bad rain, you have less chance of a nasty leak. An ammo-can stove will be more than adequate to heat even a "monster wedge" with the only drawback being you have to fuel it more often than a full sized stove, but you can't fit a full sized stove into most bell backed wedges. It will also let you boil water if the weather is so bad you decide to hole-up inside for the day. Hot beverage or stew or oatmeal, what have you.

I'd look into actual stove pipe instead of exhaust pipe as is shown in the DIY link. Much less weight and works just as well.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Test the working function of the stove if the chimney is installed this way. My experience is that you need to go above the ridge in order to get the proper draft for the smoke.

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
I’m trying to figure out what size bell back to to get for 2 people and a stove , I use a French 7x11 now and can’t stand up in it . So trying to decide between wedge or small wall tent

Posts: 232 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 10 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
As to the size of tent to purchase...when adding a stove you should expect to go with a tent large enough to fit half the usual occupancy. In other words, if the tent is supposed to shelter four, you can expect it to comfortably hold 2 people when adding a stove. This is a pretty standard arrangement based on all the folks I know who "hot tent" when outdoors. Of course...YMMV.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Posts: 13 | Registered: 04 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
I'm considering the bell back wedge and woodstove idea , was hoping yo here from others who may use this setup

Factor
posted Hide Post
Here is the option that I've seen for folks who don't do a wood stove in the tent. The Little Buddy is safe for use within a tent, and will heat one up pretty fast. It's small, rather light, portable from a tent heater to a home heater, etc, and ready to go for not much money. The drawback though is that you can only heat up a space with it; you can't cook or heat water with it. The admonition that "adding attachments voids the warranty" is probably because folks have jerry-rigged something to it to boil water.

LD

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Benny - If you do decide to go with the wood stove in the bell back wedge tent, be sure you have a heat deflector between the stove and the tent wall. You don't want to overheat the fabric and have it set on fire. Just a safety precaution.

If you go with the "Little Buddy" heater that LD mentioned, then you should be sure you look into what they recommend from a safety perspective.

Bottom line, there's more to both of these units then just adding them to your tent and having them work without a hitch.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Posts: 13 | Registered: 04 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Do you recommend panther or tentsmiths?

Factor
posted Hide Post
I have gone with Tentsmiths for two tents, and with Panther for one tent and a diamond shelter. In my case the products weren't identical, so I went with what suited my needs and budget.

LD

Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Hey L D is like to chat with ya for a few about some tentage!

Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Dave. I sent you a P M