New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet mold ?
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Does anyone know if Lee makes a R.E.A.L. mold for a 40 cal rifle.

Posts: 26 | Location: SE Arkansaw | Registered: 05 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Their site lists REALs for .45, .50, .54 and .58. Nothing for .40

Part Man, Part Critter
Born under the watch of the Great Spirit

Posts: 71 | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Ohio Rusty
posted Hide Post
Turner Kirkland always had that complaint that there wasn't a conical for the .40. So ... he made one!! Dixie sold a .40 conical that was cut into one of their hair straightener type moulds. They may still be available thru dixie.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Posts: 19 | Location: Falls of the Hockhocking, Ohio | Registered: 28 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lil' BILL:
Does anyone know if Lee makes a R.E.A.L. mold for a 40 cal rifle.
SUMMER 2012 RANGE TEST
.40cal x 200grn R.E.A.L. conical range tests...outstanding
(.40cal x 200grn R.E.A.L. supplied courtesy of member 'oldnamvet' who had Lee Precision make a custom mold for him...I bought 100 from him...let me know if you want to contact him)

EQUIPMENT
TVM Late Lancaster
GM 38” x 1:48” x .012” x .40cal round ball barrel
Chambers Deluxe Siler
Davis DST
Rifle sights zeroed at 25yds with current 40grn Goex 3F PRB squirrel load

CONICAL TESTS USING SAME SIGHTS / SAME SIGHT PICTURE USED WITH PRB SMALL GAME LOAD
3grns Goex 4F prime
60 / 70 / 80grns Goex 2F main
.40cal Duro-Felt wad, lubed with NL1000
.40cal x 200grn R.E.A.L. conical, lubed with Oxyoke Bullet Lube

SHOOTING SITUATION
No bench, sitting down against a support like I’d be hunting, sitting against a tree

TRIALS
Started with 60grns Goex 2F and they made a dead center cloverleaf at 25yds.
Tried 60grns at 50yds and they were a few inches low.
Bumped up to 70grns and made a 1.5” group inside a 2” aim point sticker at 50yds.
Dropped back to 25yds with 70grns and they printed 1” high (top of 2” aim point sticker.
So for my equipment / methods / thick woods hunting I settled on 70grns 2F as a deer load.
(80grns 2F printed too high / not viable for existing sights and I wasn't going to change them)

CONCLUSIONS
Recoil is nothing in the Late Lancaster and the 200grn conical hits the backstop with authority.
Personally I’ve never felt the tiny .40cal x 92grn ball was a serious contender as a deer load, but there’s no doubt in my mind that this 200grn conical will get it done.
.40cal owners who might like to deer hunt with a more robust projectile in their smaller caliber round ball guns now have a REAL option.....pun intended.

FALL 2012 FIELD TEST

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Yes sir roundball, I would like to get 100 to try. Thank you.
And thanks to everyone for the help.

Posts: 26 | Location: SE Arkansaw | Registered: 05 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post