New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cow's knee
 Login/Join

<mtnmike>
posted
How does one make a cow's knee,might come in handy on a rainy day.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I've been wondering the same. I'd like to attempt to make one this winter.

Posts: 16 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: 03 November 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Sage Rider
posted Hide Post
I have made several and they work great(and very simple to do). Got the pattern and instructions on "how to" from Mark Baker's books. Might give that a try!!!

"Don't Retreat, just reload"

Posts: 411 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Like most accoutrements they are easy to make and there may be as many different designs as there are those of us who make them ourselves.
I'll try the best I can to describe how I made mine.

I cut an oblong piece of light leather, about 5" x 10". I folded it length wise to make a square 5" on each side. Then I did a whip stitch starting at the folded edge and going down only about half way on one of the open sides. The other sides I left entirely open.
So, when looking at it from the side with a point up it is diamond shaped. The folded side and the half sewn side are the two upper sides. This goes over the frizzen on my flintlock with the frizzen fitting into the point between the folded side and the sewed side.
I punched a small hole through the opposite point, which is on the bottom, and tied a throng in the holes. When the cow's knee is on my flintlock I can then tie the throng around my gunstock to hold it in place.
I used plenty of linseed oil on the leather to waterproof it.
Depending on the size of your lock, you may want to make your's a little larger than mine. Mine is small and barely adaquate for the job, but it does work. Starting with a 6" x 12" piece of leather would cover the lock a little better.
I know some people who just take an 8" or 10" square of leather and fold the whole thing over the lock without any sewing, and tie it in place.
It shouldn't be too difficult to figure out what works best for you.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
Thanks!

Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
I also thank you, I will make one. Mark

Posts: 162 | Location: Burlington, Wisconsin | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of kopfjaeger
posted Hide Post
Here you go.

" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

Posts: 51 | Registered: 07 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Mine is just like that one but I made it out of cloth, then painted it with boiled linseed oil to turn it into oilcloth.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
Thanks Guys! I still have not made one Roll Eyes I am easily confused Eeker

Factor
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty slow at this sewing stuff also.I just finished repairing my leather day pack after hemming and hawing for almost two years.Nothing complicated,just almost beyond my abilities.A saddle stitch is my one and only reliable stitch.
Thanks for posting this,I need one of these critters also......Maybe eventually.....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of LeeRoy
posted Hide Post
That looks like a easy to to project. I will have to try to make one.

Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of kopfjaeger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loyalist Dave:
Mine is just like that one but I made it out of cloth, then painted it with boiled linseed oil to turn it into oilcloth.

LD

I made a few from the pattern I posted above. For my small caliber squirrel rifles I just made them a little smaller. I've only made them out of leather and have used mink oil to waterproof them. On the back of the lock cover I leave a long thong so I can attach it to my trigger guard so it doesn't fall off and I lose it in the woods. And a strap and a stud on the front makes it faster to remove when game is seen. It should look like this when finished.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kopfjaeger,

" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

Free Trapper
Picture of LeeRoy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the photo, and the finishing touches. They make it easier for a person with my limited talents.

LeeRoy

Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Ya,what he said....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of kopfjaeger
posted Hide Post
Here's a picture of what it will look like on a flintlock rifle.

Pilgrim
Picture of kopfjaeger
posted Hide Post
Another strap option if you don't have or want a stud to secure the strap.