New
Find
Notify
Tools

new spike hawk
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
After seeing a picture on another ml forum I asked the maker if he would make one for me. This is my first spike hawk and it will go on display with my 'hawk collection. I really like it.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Will Ghormley
posted Hide Post
I've seen spiked hawks with the curved back spike like that, also referred to as "boarding axes". The spike was used to grapple the wood fixtures of the opposing ship to secure a hold.

I assume there is some historical president for that labeling. Not bein' a nautical man, I'm just takin' their word.

Will

"When Liberty is illegal, only outlaws will be free." Will Ghormley

In 1913, the gold and silver backed dollar was worth a dollar. Today, that same greenback is worth 3 cents. In just under 100 years, the Federal Reserve Bank has made the dollar virtually worthless. Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths. Compensate for your weaknesses." Will Ghormley

Posts: 657 | Location: Ankeny, Iowa | Registered: 28 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Pare-
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I bought mine from DeLaRonde Forge several years ago. I have a bag axe that Joe made for my oldest son, too.

Pare-

Posts: 104 | Location: Little River, I.T. | Registered: 06 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
Nice axe. (And I always recommend DeLaRonde Forge, too.)

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Nice looking axe Rifleman thanks for sharing.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will Ghormley:
I've seen spiked hawks with the curved back spike like that, also referred to as "boarding axes". The spike was used to grapple the wood fixtures of the opposing ship to secure a hold.

I assume there is some historical president for that labeling. Not bein' a nautical man, I'm just takin' their word.

Will

He did use a pic of an original boarding axe for inspiration. I'll still fight injuns on land with it. Wink

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I'll still fight injuns on land with it. Wink[/QUOTE]

Whoa, now; let's don't get personal (family, you know) Big Grin Cool

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Cado
posted Hide Post
Nice ax, looks like one I would like to have one day. I also have a belt ax from Delaronde forge as well as my son and I have another one on order from him now. I think I'm getting a hawk fetish Big Grin

Posts: 617 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I like it. First I ever saw one was in a Dixie catalog. I thought it looked wicked,in a good way. I remeber reading somwhere in a book I have that this type of 'hawk wasn't carried a lot due to personal injury.

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post