New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tent help needed
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Not sure where to post this,hopefully I'm in the right section.I'm looking for some advice on wedge tents,what is a decent size for my son and I? Ive looked at tentsmith,Panther and even some other sites as well.I don't want to go small or to big enough room for sleeping and gear storage any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 29 | Location: Central Pa. | Registered: 02 October 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
10X7 from Red Hawk works for my wife and I. We put a fly out front most times.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I have a Museum Wedge by Tentsmith. A little on the large size but a great tent. Whatever wedge you choose, get one with a bell on it.

Posts: 9 | Location: Lake Tahoe | Registered: 14 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Yeah they varied in size, some as large as sleeping 8 men (the standard bell backed wedge held 5 - 6). So If you don't have a military reenactment requirement for size...the museum wedge is a good idea...and as specified...with a bell.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Fincastle
posted Hide Post
54 Roundball,

I have a British wedge(bell back), 1758 model I believe, from Panther Primitives that I've drug around for over 30 years now. You can't go wrong with a Panther tent in my opinion. The only repairs I've ever had to make are to sew some new ties on at the door a time or two in all those years..

A nod's as good as a blink to a blind horse

Posts: 143 | Location: Indiana Territory | Registered: 22 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I would suggest an 8x10 wall tent with low sides. Still small, but more usable floor space for bedding and storage, more head room, and much easier for two people to dress and maneuver in. Also allows more safe area for candle/lantern usage, and heating if necessary. To add more, a wedge tent can be very confining and uncomfortable if you're stuck in it waiting out a long rain. But, to each his own.

Posts: 557 | Location: geneva,fl | Registered: 29 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Wick is correct, walls do make for a more efficient design...though the Museum Wedge or a Monster wedge are pretty easy to live in as they are TALL. The difference in price is very small between a Museum Wedge and one of the smaller walled tents, but the walls give you as I mentioned a tad more room...the only difference is that the walled tent you need to lug 8 short poles to support the sides in addition to the three poles that form the ridge in both types of tents, and you will need more stakes for you will need to stake out lines from the sides of the walled tent...while the wedge is stakes only, no extra stakes and lines. More work on the wall tent BUT more room.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Hunts4Deer
posted Hide Post
You didn't say whether you care about being period correct for any time period, or what you would use the tent for. But the fact that you are shopping Tentsmiths or Panther says you do want primitive canvas. If you intend to get into reenacting, or for example, camping at the Fort Frederick Market Fair, you would want to choose the correct design.

If you are thinking about reenacting, the unit you join can give tent advice. You pretty much can't go wrong with a wedge for most of the 18th c. portrayals.

My wife and I reenact French and Indian War. We have a French wedge with a 48" bell on the end. It is 8' wide, 8' 6" long, plus bell, and 7' tall. We do use cots, and store gear under the cots, plus up in the bell. This size works well for us. We don't need anything bigger.

I would not want to be squeezed into anything smaller, though, really. Although the original French wedge tents were 7'x7' plus 24" inch bell and only 6' tall, and they slept six, laying crossways!

We have a Panther and it has held up very well.

John
Vive le Roy!

Posts: 513 | Location: Colony of Maryland | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
If you are implying that a wall tent is not PC for 18th c., then you need to do some research. Tents in general were not common among civilians, perhaps with some traders, but not common other than military use. The wall tent was a common type tent, then as now, as far as tent usage goes.

Posts: 557 | Location: geneva,fl | Registered: 29 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I use a , what we call over here, a A frame with a bell end which is 10x5 excluding bell,for extended periods we use a 5mt bell tent

A gun without hammers, looks like a spaniel without ears
King George v

Posts: 29 | Location: staffordshire england | Registered: 17 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Picked my bellback tent last week,it measures 7'x8.25'x8' with a 4.5'bell also got a 12'x15' canopy.

Posts: 29 | Location: Central Pa. | Registered: 02 October 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
We want pictures when you get it set up.....Smiler

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post